1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Trans Female in Boy Scouts and Flipping Out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Posthuman666, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Posthuman666

:help: So I joined boy scouts before I realized I was trans. I have a meeting tonight and it feels so wrong to go, but in the past I would get panic attacks and not go, and eventually quit only to rejoin. I didn't go last week because I was scared so my parents are going to make me go and it is really hard.

I know Im not male, so being in an all male organization is like heresy. I hate it and every time I go my dysphoria gets so bad sometimes I have to just hide in the back so no one sees me. Its just a consistent reminder that I'm in the closet and that I can't be who I am on the inside. Its killing me and Im really scared. Im afraid Ill have a panic attack and everyone will see me or that something bad will happen and in three weeks I'm going to a summer camp for scouts......... it hurts so bad that i can't be myself and who i am and I hate it. I hate my body and I hate boy scouts.

I'm a girl, I can't be in boy scouts. It goes against everything.

t;'dr I'm fucked.

2. bi2me

Are you planning to tell your parents that you are trans? Could you just tell them that it makes you uncomfortable to go without talking about the gender part of it? (Or just say you don't like it anymore?)

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    that really sucks.

If it really is taking such a toll on you, can't you pretend to be sick at least for the summer camp?

Or if worst comes to worst, couldn't you tell your parents the truth? I would never go to such a thing...

Keep us posted

hugs

4. Natasha Elyssa

I feel you. I'm in Boy Scouts myself and it kinda drives me nuts too. If you enjoy scouting , I recommend you look into Venturing which is co-ed. I would know because my sister is the first girl to ever receive the highest award in venturing where I live, and she does some crazy stuff (mountain climbing, canoeing, camping, and is working at a scout camp all summer). So if scouting interests you, and you want to be involved in scouting, look into venturing. It also depends on where you live. Here in NYC, most (professional, mature) troops don't care about if a person is LGBT. If you don't like scouting at all, just tell your parents that you don't like it and want to quit. And if your troop can't except you for who you are, they're not worth your time. Going to summer camp, you should try to focus on having fun and doing activities and try to keep your mind off things. Summer camp is supposed to be fun, so make the best of it. Anyway, it's up to you. My sister also represented the whole New York counsel in the report to the Senate a few months ago. Girls in scouting is not unusual. I know plenty of girls in Boy Scouts. Look into venturing, it's better than normal Boy Scouts and is very accepting of anyone. I hope this helps you. :slight_smile: <3

5. Posthuman666

Yeah, I could say it eventually.... meh

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 10:28 AM ----------

I suppose I could, but I already left once so it would be difficult, and the summer camp is all paid for and planned out....

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

But a boy's scouts summer camp sounds simply terrifying even from an outside perspective :frowning2:

Wouldn't you prefer, if you have to, to just tell them?

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in the Rainbows, Brownies, and Girl Guides. Luckily, I finished before I knew about transsexualism and accepting that I'm a trans guy. It was awkward, but I don't remember Girl Guides putting a strong focus on gender beyond the name. Of course I don't know what it's like in the American boy scouts...!

What can your parents do if you refuse to go to summer camp? Nobody can really force you to attend. If anyone tries to force you; it's probably blackmail. Still, If I were you, I would be more willing to compromise and quit after summer camp, IF your parents can't get a refund.

People lose interest in things all the time. You can pick up another hobby. Wouldn't your parents be happy to see you work on something you're passionate about?

8. Posthuman666

UPDATE: I went to scouts and dysphoria kinda sucked but it was okay, I guess.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

I hope you'll be able to convince your parents to not go to camp, at least!

hugs

10. Foz

Foz Guest

Do girls not go to Scouts in the US? I was in Sea Scouts as a Scout, Explorer then as a leader for over 10 years and there was many times when the girls outnumbered the boys! In 2009 I met up with a group of Sea Scouts from Cali. and half of them were girls.

11. Jellal

From what I know, there are two groups, the Boy Scouts of America and the Girl Scouts of America. So it's like, divided amongst two genders basically.

12. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I was a Beaver Scout then a Cub Scout (the younger versions) and it was for boys and girls. I was going to become an Air Scout but didn't get a place, but a friend who did said that it was about 60% girls.