1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does it mean to be female or male?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LiquidGirlGuy, Jun 22, 2015.

1. LiquidGirlGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    For half of my life, I've questioned my gender identity at the back of my mind, but I never dwelt on it too seriously until now. I'm 18 and I've decided that if I'm really gender fluid, I want my family to know about it. However I don't know if that's the case, I may just be a guy with feminine aspects. There are moments when I don't really feel like I'm a guy, but I don't know what being a women is supposed to feel like. I have no idea what it means be guy or a woman psychologically. Does anyone have any tips or information that could help me figure out what I am exactly ?

P.S I may not be able to answer back for a couple hours. I'm going on a road trip soon. :slight_smile:

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Hard question.There are masculine women and men that crossdress but still identify as male.As you can see there isn't a real line for it.

You could try it out through pronouns.See if you feel more comfortable using female pronouns while feeling female and see how it feels.Since you're probably not used to them it could sound strange either way and you could experiment around with presentation a little.

3. lizardman

It depends. I was born female, but identify as a gender neutral male (physically, I want to be male, but in terms of actions and behavior, I express myself androgynously)

4. Jellal

It's an interesting question to ask, I'm grappling with it myself.

I can say that it bothers me when people refer to me as a guy. Basically, almost nobody ever addressed me as a girl, so when people do it these days it's definitely unsettling! So that's one of the flipside problems, I guess.

I reckon most people have their own conceptions of what's "female" and what's "male." Honestly there is such variance in the world, that I don't think I can judge what classifies or qualifies as female or male amongst us humans. I have a slightly better idea of what counts as female or male for me personally, not taking other peoples' bodies into account.

5. LiquidGirlGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys! This definitely helps with giving me an idea of the boundaries and such. I'll definitely try female pronoun thing. I'm soooo glad that I'm not the alone on this one. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2015 at 08:34 PM ----------

Heh, funny story time. I actually have an ongoing joke with a girl I know where we use the opposite pronouns for each other on a daily basis. Little does she know how much it actually means to me.

#5 LiquidGirlGuy, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015