1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorts, Shaved Legs, and Parents

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Florestan, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, for many years now I've consistently worn jeans, no matter how hot it was outside. This became an advantage while I was at a conservative Baptist college, and could shave my legs without anyone seeing it. Very soon, though, I'll be going to Disney World. Since I'm not a fan of roasting alive, I decide to buy shorts.

I'm not sure if I should tell my family beforehand that I've been shaving my legs. My parents already know I'm trans, and they disapprove. I don't want any drama, but I'm not sure if the best way to prevent that would be to tell them now, or to let them notice themselves. Any thoughts?

2. Jellal

I don't know your parents personally, but if they know you're trans already then I don't think there will be much for them to question when it comes to your shaved legs. You shouldn't have to brief them on the matter beforehand.

I've known a lot of boys who shave their legs too, because it's the sleek look their girls want.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that you need to tell them.

I'm trans*male and just stopped shaving my legs. I'll come out soon to my parents, and I'm just going to let them notice my body hair. It's my hair after all. I don't go around telling them or anyone else what they should do to their body hair.

And besides, some girls don't shave. Some guys do shave. Body hair shouldn't be tied to gender... it's simply a matter of personal preference.

But yes... I would say to be respectfully quiet about it. They know you are trans, and that should be explanation enough as to your shaving habits. Don't let it bother you.

-Rhys-

4. Posthuman666

Thats a pretty accurate statement actually. Its not like they can summon body hair to reappear on your legs (hopefully). But its your body, and your gender expression and they can't really stop you from being you no matter how hard they try. (*hug*)