1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-Discrimination Help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BandFangirl, Jun 25, 2015.

1. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Androgynous Gender? Help

I am a 15 year old multiracial "black" person whose biological sex is female. I am questioning my gender but I'm a little confused; when lots of people look the the mirror they say "I'm a girl (or guy or binary etc.)" But I see a person. I don't feel a connection to the labels "girl" or "guy".(I think I might be more androgynous) Also I feel that most of the genderfluid/queer people are skinny and white (I'm curvy and darker skinned). I wanted to know if this could be just normal teenage identity finding (I forget the Ford for it) or may I actually be androgynous.
    Thank you guys so much.
    :icon_bigg

#1 BandFangirl, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Xander27

Hello!

Only you can know what you are. And if there is a certain group that you see more predominantly as identifying, that might not be for the reasons one might assume. For one, it is a thing that it is safer for a white person to be out of the closet no matter what part of the LGBT world they're in. Another, most people associate curves with being female.

That being said, be you! If you don't really identify as male or female, you might not be either. And that's okay

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I am curious as to why you include ethnicity into your gender questioning? Not that that isn't valid, feelings are feelings, but I don't think I've seen it before...
    Your ethnicity has nothing to do with your gender. If you feel like people won't take you seriously because most androgynous/fluid people in the media are white, please don't. Michael Jackson did lots of androgyny, super well, and he was simply gorgeous People will take you seriously if you let them try!

Do you feel uncomfortable when people call you girl or use she for a pronoun etc.?
    Have you ever thought of 'innate gender'? Do you have a feeling in your gut telling you you're female, or something else?

hugsies

4. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

I included my ethnicity because, although I knew it wasn't true, being black kept getting me "stuck" and I for some reason make it play a role in gender. Ian am comfortable using she/her only because when I do refer to gender it is in situations where bathroom choose sort of things are happening

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Okay. I should have phrased myself better. What I meant was, if you question your own gender regardless of what people think, do you still include ethnicity?

It's certainly harder for people who are black, or often simply, unfortunately, any non-white ethnicity, to certify their right to express themselves in the culture we live in.

Have you thought about what you would prefer people treat you as instead? Would you like to be seen by society as not female, and in that case, in which way?