1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of wearing choker necklace in public

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lonewolfblair, Jun 26, 2015.

1. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So my best friend recently bought me a choker necklace (black floral design) and i was thinking of wearing it while at a gaming convention which i am attending as part of my work experience and our boss told us the number one rule of the event is don't be a jerk so i believe that i should be safe but i feel as if i would be asking for trouble by wearing it and it is held in an area that has a trashy reputation but it is close to the train station.

I want to wear it but yeah i'm just so scared of judgement but i will get nowhere by hiding in the shadows, however that is a hypocritical statement as i haven't told my parents yet (i have told my mum but she seems to have treated like a phase as i stopped mentioning it).

#1 lonewolfblair, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Xander27

I'd say go for it! But also do whatever seems best for you, and will be safe.

3. BiKate

I want to say go for it. But then, if your anything like me, you should probably no, and wear it outside of work instead. When I'm not 100% on wearing something that I like but that looks different or whatever, I sometimes regret wearing it, and I dunno I'd hate to be stuck working while I feel uncomfortable about it. So I'd wear it out to the movies or shopping or something first, but that's just because I know what my insecurities are like.

If you want to wear it, wear it!! :slight_smile:

4. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Excuse my ignorance, but I don't really understand the implications of wearing a choker necklace.

I wore a homemade necklace with wooden beads on it that was about as tight as a choker not long ago and someone asked me if I was male or female and later called me a tranny. Is that just because it was a necklace and necklaces are usually worn be women or does having a tight necklace like that have some kind of hidden meaning I didn't know of?

What kind of gaming convention are you going to? A lot of the time people are pretty relaxed with what you wear at conventions so if it's that kind of event you'll probably be fine. If it's a more formal thing it might be better not to wear it.

Either way, I hope you have a good time and just be yourself :slight_smile:

5. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks everyone i have decided to wear it on the set up day to trial it.

Last time i checked chokers are a type of necklace worn exclusively by females, however in the past red ribbons tied around the neck symbolized prostitution and during the depression plain black woven or ribbon choker symbolized lesbianism, but now days they are a common necklace worn by women.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chokers are usually worn by females. Necklaces themselves aren't exclusive to women, as one of my favorite necklaces is a beaded one that my bro use to wear when he was in high school. It was popular back them, and if you look up male necklaces on Google you will find a lot more examples.

As for the OP's question:
    Go for it. I'd say wear it.