1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable with pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AndySammy, Jun 28, 2015.

1. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I'm 100% sure I'm trans. I feel like a male, want to be one physically, I like going by a male name(Andrew), but I feel very uncomfortable when my friend uses male pronouns, and when I try in my head. I don't like female pronouns either, I kinda like they/them, but I'm not genderfluid - I wanna be seen as a male!
    Could it be because female pronouns are what I'm used to, and feels safer. Maybe I just need some time to feel comfortable with male pronouns? Did any of you feel uncomfortable with male/female pronouns in the start, or is it me who has a weird problem?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not use to male pronouns so they sound weird to me, but female pronouns are grating on my nerves more and more, even though I slip and misgender myself a lot.
    I think its about getting use to male pronouns. You've been refered to female ones all your life, you're use to hearing them and are in the habit of using them

3. swagmaster

I mean what matters is if they respect who you are and dknt treat you like there is something wrong with you. At least that is what i believe.

4. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.
    I really hope you're right, and that I'll get used to it one day.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2015 at 07:49 PM ----------

That's right, I'm really happy they accept me.

5. Thessa Blossom

I have a similar issue, In my head I can refer to myself as Thessa and she is a welcome and comforting pronounce but I can't say it loud. Also my therapist asked me by what pronounce and name she shall address me. I asked her to stick to my male name and pronounce for the time being, but since a few days I'm thinking that I will ask her to change it on our next meeting or maybe the meeting after the next to the female versions - still undecided.
    So you see you are not alone with this problem.

6. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I felt very useless, that I can't even be comfortable with my 'desired' pronouns. I'm sure we'll one day get comfortable with it, it's just hard not knowing when.

7. randomconnorcon

It takes a while to get used to different pronouns when you've heard and has to use certain ones all your life. One day being referred to as he/him/his might become normal for you. But liking they pronouns is cool; you don't have to be genderfluid to want to use them.

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And since I'm not out I get referred to by my female name and pronouns. Sometimes this makes me uncomfortable, but more times I don't notice and that frustrates me because I feel it should be a source of agony.

Some people have dysphoria over pronouns and others don't. Some people can jump right in to new pronouns while others have to take time to adjust

9. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

That sounds right. I'm so used to female pronouns, they're safe, yet I hate them.
    Thanks for answering.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2015 at 10:23 PM ----------

I hate myself when I don't notice people using gender assigned nicknames, my birthname or female pronouns - also when I misgender myself. I feel absolutely useless.

10. swagmaster

My ex alqays wanted to be refered to as a guy.
    I wish i had respected it more then i did. It felt silly at the time but it ment a lot to her and ive always kind of regreted that.

11. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

It means so much. My parents are unsupportive, and Buddha, it hurts.

12. swagmaster

She told me not to a few times but we always did it in bed (she had a name she prefer me call her over her birth name) and she brang it up a lot. I think her parents dissaproved of it which is a lot of why she didn't want to but i was never as suportive as i should have been.At the end of the day i think i fetishized it and i never really gave her the respect she deserved.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2015 at 12:44 PM ----------

Not sure if that really belongs here but yeah.

13. Thessa Blossom

I just had the situation that my daughter sad to my wife "Show him the video." and I cringed. The first thing that came to my mind was "her" but a split second after that I was thinking how odd it might sound. I'm so confused.

14. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I see. It's really hard to be trans, and just LGBTQA+ in general, and it just helps when your loved ones supports you.

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2015 at 10:52 PM ----------

I do that a lot. When my dad says something like 'Yes, this is my daugther' or 'She's busy right now' or something, I want to correct him so bad, but that would be so weird.

15. swagmaster

Dont be.
    Its perfectly fine to do that as long as your not being rude about it and im sure he would be willing to respect that if he cares about you.

16. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I'm not out to him yet, so it would be very awkward if I just said 'Hey dude, I'm your son!'

17. swagmaster

I mean im male and most of my exes were fenales who identify as male so trans does not necisarly equal gay. I can understand that though. I recently figured out that i was bi leaning more towards gay and ive only really told a few people that i like other men.

18. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

Well, transmales are just as much male as cismales are.

19. swagmaster

I know that.