1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is a ftm allowed to celebrate father's day?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by yaoicore, Jun 28, 2015.

1. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

I was wondering this ftm's if you ever though about having kids, would you celebrate mother's day or Father's day or both?

I was just wondering that some times I have though about having kids I kind a wonder to myself what will I be to them.

and can a ftm celebrate mother/father day?

I feel like if I was to tell them that I'm their dad I'd be lying to them I feel the same for if I was to celebrate father's day I'd just be lying to myself :frowning2:
    can anyone pretty please help me out on understanding this?

2. siriuslypadfoot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You aren't lying to them about being their father. You would be their father.

It's up to you on what you want to celebrate.

3. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

thanks for letting me know that, if I had a little one, I feel like a part of me would want for them to call me dad and the other part is saying I'm lying

I sure know that I don't want to celebrate mother's day I just want to hear this happy father's day and not mother's day this is one of my fears

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FtM is male. Fathers are men. You would be a father. Therefore, it'd be Father's Day =)

5. randomconnorcon

Yes to Father's Day. It may be confusing to some people, but who cares? We're men, we're dads, we should have Father's Day. The only person I don't want it to confuse is my kid, so I want to transition long before I have any; that way I'll always be their dad and hearing it everyday would be, for me, the thing I need to remember that I'm valid as a father, I guess. Maybe. We'll see when/if kids ever happen.

6. BiKate

If you haven't had any, yes, you'll be their father :slight_smile:

If you came out and started transitioning after having kids, and had previously lived as a woman, I'd say it would be up to you whether your kids started celebrating fathers day with you, or celebrated mothers day since you would have been a mother to them previously and they'd want to thank you for that.

But if you've got no kids yet, then you'll be their dad when you do have them :slight_smile: They'll only ever know you as their father. And if my dad was trans ftm, he'd still be my dad, just like if I found out my mother had been male once, she'd still be my mother! You're a male :slight_smile: