1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revaluating Gender Because Of Friend

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by David21201, Jun 28, 2015.

1. David21201

My friend keeps telling me I'm not trans. She keeps saying it over and over again. She says maybe I'm androgynous or agender or even bigender but I'm not trans.

This was the same girl who was right about my sexuality. I have talked to her about my questioning and she says that I'm not trans since I'm super comfortable with being referred to as a woman and being a woman. I've tried to explain my name pains me and having breasts can cause me dysphoria....

Should I take her advice and think longer? Could she be right?

...I really need a therapist...

2. Xander27

In my opinion, the only person who has any right to say if a person is male, female, bigender, agender, etc. is the person themselves. Therefore, only you know what gender you are. If you believe you are trans, then you are. If you question yourself because of you, not because of another's doubting words, then go ahead and think some more until you are sure. Talking it out may help too, but I'd encourage you to trust in yourself.

3. randomconnorcon

You're still trans. Androgyne, agender, bigender, genderfluid, etc all fall under the transgender umbrella. So you're still trans, even if you're not binary (straight up female to male). But only you can really know that.

4. Ashleigh16

Only you know that. Don't let someone else's questioning change who you feel you are :slight_smile:

5. David21201

the problem is, i dont know what I feel any more

6. Xander27

It's ikay to not know what you are (neither do I). Just know we're here to support you through the process of figuring it out.

7. David21201

I'm tired of trying to figure this out

8. Jellal

Hey, if you're tired, you can always take a break and live in the moment.
    For the time being, just hear me out.
    Here's one of the most important lessons I've learned in trying to gain self-knowledge.
    It's a secret some people are NEVER willing to admit:

"Knowing" yourself is an impossible goal.
    You're never going to just "figure this out."
    The self is WAY too complex for that!

You can learn more about yourself, but there is an infinite well of information you can learn.
    Depending on your experiences in not only the past but the future to come, that information may contradict itself. It most likely will, in fact. The mere act of living is a contradiction, the very fact that someone would have the audacity to live and function and hope to find meaning in life when it's all going to end anyways, and the slate is wiped blank; that's the ultimate contradiction right there.

But the people who live life to the fullest are the ones who embrace that contradiction and do their best to leave a big mark on the world anyway, no matter how "fleeting" it is in the grand scheme of things.
    I think this is proof that we need to accept the inevitable contradictions in ourselves, they're just the way of the world. Don't feel bad about them. It's okay to not "know."

If struggling with a question is paining you, then stop paining yourself!
    Come back to it when you've built up more experiences, and then take another guess.
    There's only so much you can gain through introspection alone.
    In the case of something like gender identity, lived experiences serve best to teach you what you want.
    So if you want to continue questioning, I suggest you don't fret over this in your head.
    Live your life and think about how things make you feel when they happen to you.
    Does something make you happy? Does something make you feel sad? Or strange, maybe?
    That's the sort of data you can work with.
    Nothing will give you concrete knowledge, but an answer like that is impossible.
    Just finding a way to live more comfortably with yourself, little by little, is more realistic.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^^this:icon_bigg

10. David21201

What I dont understand is that on days a either feel like a guy or just a person. Anymore since I've accepted I'm probably not cis I feel like I'm not any gender or that I am 'trans'. I'll occasionally wake up feeling a dick but then it'll pass and I'll feel like nothing. Anymore there is no dysphoria. Pronouns don't bug me and it seems everything is neutral.

I've been thinking about BOY names and those cause me stress. When I think of GIRL names I want to rip my eyes out. Even some gender neutral names piss me off. That's whh I go by Bex half the time.

I'm just a person, a being anymore... I don't care what people call me... I just am a person

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The same for me. For some people dysphoria does lessen after coming to terms with being trans.
    Kind of like you're in pain but don't know why. Once you know why the pain lessen because now you have a cause and a way to treat it. The pain becomes smaller now that you know you can make it go away. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense)

I hear a lot of stories about people who feel a gender, gender fluid, bi-gender, etc till they transition. Then they feel like the gender they transition to. Feeling like one of the non binary is kind of like a coping mechanism for some people. And its al right not to feel like a boy all the time.
    For me I know I'm stiil trans on these days because I feel more calm seeing a boy in the mirror than a girl