1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm questioning my gender...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by abitha7990, Jun 29, 2015.

1. abitha7990

Hi, I'm new here, but so far this seems like a pretty safe place to ask questions and such. So I am want to ask if someone can help me with my gender identity.

So, I'm going to explain myself a bit.

I am a teenager who is biologically female. Up until recently (Like, last week) I didn't know that there were more than two genders. I just thought you could only be a boy, or a girl. I mean, I knew that you could switch genders. But I didn't know that your gender is basically a state of mind, and your sex is what parts you do or don't have. And now that I know that there is more than just "boys and girls", I'm questioning my gender.

I am perfectly comfortable with being referred to as "she" or "her". I'm also fairly comfortable with my body (although I'm practically flat chested, and have no interest in having breasts that are larger). I don't wake up feeling feminine one day and masculine the next. However, I have gone for about six months feeling very masculine then woken up and kind-of felt... in-between... then gradually become more feminine (it took about a week to feel extremely feminine). The feminism lasted for almost a year, and now I'm starting to feel more masculine.

When I was younger (from the ages of 6-10) I would have days were I would be very girly, and pink, and wear dresses, and play with barbies. Then I would wake up the next day and play with G.I Joe's, wrestle, play in the woods, and ask my mom to buy me boy clothes. I don't remember having many in-between days though.

Another thing I am wondering: Do you have any influence over your gender? Or is it something you can't control?

Well that's about it... I'm not sure if I'm just going through the "scene phase" or if I'm just a tomboy. But I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks for reading.

#1 abitha7990, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Acm

Acm Guest

Lots of people can go between varying degrees of femininity or masculinity, it's not necessarily a sign of being trans, since how masculine or feminine you are is not really connected to your gender. Do you feel like your internal gender changes? You might be a different gender, or you could be a gender nonconforming female.

3. abitha7990

Thank you for your help.

I do feel like my internal gender changes. But i have researched a LOT of different genders and such (including nonconforming), and none of them seem to really fit me. The closest one to me is gender fluidity, but from what I understand, your internal gender changes each day if you're gender fluid. And my internal gender only changes over months or weeks

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'S not each day.
    Some people can go weeks or months as one gender and then it will change. Some people switch every day others every hours.
    Some peoples gender changes on if its night or day, who they are around, or what they are doing.

Gender in and of itself is a fluid thing and changes often, we just hardly notice because we align more with male or female, some people that is but not all.

5. abitha7990

Thank you for helping me understand gender fluidity a bit more. I like being well informed when I am trying to unravel my confusion.