1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping with dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mothzi, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mothzi

How do you all cope with body, social and mental dysphoria? What tips do you have for others? Thanks in advance for responses :slight_smile:

2. Posthuman666

Well, Im not out yet, but when I am I plan on presenting as female and eventually get HRT in a few years.

For now, I do some things. Im a trans girl, so a little different but same concept.

When thinking of whatever, think of yourself as, in your case, a male. Make that little mind voice as masculine as you want. Think of your memories, but with you as a man. It helps me. Just really acknowledge who you are inside, and how that does not define who you are on the outside whatsoever.

For physical dysphoria, I just I have to feel it. Know what your body really is and ignore what is there. For you, I recommend binders if you don't use them already, they have helped many a trans guy. Just remember that your body is temporary, but your feelings are forever.

Socially, to those you are out to I would ask to be called by your preferred pronouns and name. Hopefully, your friends will soon think of you as who you really are.

Hope I helped! Message me if you need anything!

3. mothzi

Thank you. I do have a binder and am starting to go by different pronouns and it elevates it but somehow I'm feeling gradually worse. I think I'm finally realizing how disconnected I really am from my body and how long I have to wait for real changes.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Socially: The only thing that really helps me is if I don't hear it or if someone just uses my pronouns more to drown it out.

Physical: It has different degrees for me. Sometimes binding and packing helps me, but other times not even that helps. When those extreme feelings come in, I need to distract myself from my body; so focusing on music or gaming helps distract me for a while.

5. randomconnorcon

Social dysphoria: I don't yet know how to cope in this situation, at least not around family because I'm not out. My friends online and two in real life know my name and pronouns, many of them are also queer and the others are very accepting and not one of them have misgendered me (at least not in front of me). So that's very helpful. I don't often hear pronouns around my family, which is somewhat helpful, because I'm not around them when they're not talking to or about me. One other friend knows my pronouns, but I've never heard her use them because she doesn't need to when she talks to me. I guess we'll find out what she does on Tuesday; she doesn't know my name yet.

Physical dysphoria: I'm losing weight in the hopes of helping with some of my dysphoria here, but right now I try not to focus on it. My showers are quick and when I see my body I just envision the body I'll have in the future with testosterone and top surgery. I'm not all that interested in bottom surgery, other than maybe releasing the urethra. So dysphoria is not too much of an issue, though during the few times I've felt dysphoric I also imagine my life in the future. Only this time I still don't see a change other than the release and knowing that I (might) want that helps.

Mentally, I know I'm a guy, so when I doubt that it's usually because of social dysphoria and people around me thinking I'm a girl because I've gotten so used to playing along. It messes my head up a little.

6. Jellal

I don't have good advice on social dysphoria, besides trying to come out to people you trust so they can know how you feel and you don't feel the need to be hiding something important about yourself. It can be dreadfully internally isolating to be silent, and that hurts more than any degree of awkwardness or unbelonging. To me, at least.

For physical dysphoria (for me at least) I find it helps if I shave, shower and then dress up in clothes that make me especially comfortable. It feels like I get a brief jumpstart on feeling relatively normal, at least for a few hours at a time.

7. mothzi

Those are all good suggestions, thanks everyone. I've been exercising lately and that really helps with everything, even though it's hard to get myself to do it cause you cant wear a binder during exercise. :/