1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFLAG question?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dimo, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Dimo

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Is PFLAG just for gays and lesbians? Some material/pamphlets say gays and lesbians, others mention trans.

Since I'm sort of complicated; biologically female, but have always felt like a gay male, I don't know if its the right place for me, you know what I mean?

2. TheStormInside

I went to a couple of PFLAG meetings and at both of the meetings I attended there were parents and relatives of trans people as well as of gays and lesbians. In one of the meetings there was one trans guy in attendance. The group in my area seems to be more populated with family members than actual LGBT people, so I haven't continued to go, but I would suggest you give it a try. Maybe you will make some friends, or find a good, supportive environment. They could probably also refer you to other groups that might suit your needs more specifically if you do find PFLAG isn't quite right for you.

3. thepandaboss

PFLAG was originally started with gay kids in mind but they've expanded to encompass kids and parents from every part of the LGBT community (and allies as well, of course). I'd give it a shot. It may be a little more helpful for your parents than for you. I used a lot of their resources when I came out to my grandmother.

(Actually, your situation is not as uncommon or complicated as you think. A lot of young transmen and non-binary afab folks on here are attracted to men and identify as gay or bisexual).

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing to keep in mind is that PFLAG varies place to place--there is a lot of independence on the local level, I gather.

That said, one chapter in my area is interested in trans issues, and has even done (IIRC) special programs focussing on them.

5. suninthesky

PFLAG doesn't stand for anything anymore in order to maintain the name branding (it would be a nightmare to switch) and include trans people. Definitely for trans people too. And if there aren't any at yours you can be the first, t's always good to educate people. The support I've foud from those who didn't even know what trans meant has been astounding.