1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop being transgender? BUT HOW?!?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SimplePerson, Jul 1, 2015.

1. SimplePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi there, reader. Firstly just want to say thank you for taking the time to hear me out here.

Yeah so I'm a 17 year old female. I came out as transgender last year being a straight male. My family and friends saw it coming they didn't have a problem with it, no one did. Except me that is...The problem I'm having is that...is transgender a legit thing? Or is it just a mental disorder. 'Cause your brain is telling you that you're the opposite gender. How can that not be a mental problem. Surely surgery isn't the way to solve it, right?

Story time: Whole life I've been brought up as a boy which was my subconscious choice. You know the usual, cross dressing, male toys, male mannerisms etc. So far as to that I had to convenice people that I was a chick! XD Teenage years got bullied 'cause, yeah you guessed it, acting like a guy. During this I was...sorta? attracted to girls. But after 2 years of bullying I thought I'll be normal. It kinda worked. I was an actual teenage girl with good friends and a long time crush on a guy! We got together after a year but only lasted 2 weeks because of what lies were told to break us up. I got kicked out of that school and never talked to him again. New school I met LGBT people and thought hey maybe I'm gay? Then i learned about transgender thought hey maybe I'm that. I was happy with the thought that I could be a straight male. But I'm not sure...

I've got a perfect healthy body why should I ruin it with surgery's to cover a MAYBE mental illness. My mother has chronic depression and repressed psychosis also was born in a wheelchair. So I know a thing or two. I could live as a straight female but as a straight male too. But I'm not sure which will make me happier in the long run.

2. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it is not a mental illness, and that is very inconsiderate of others feelings. Surgery is one optional part of transitioning one physical gender to the other. Surgery does not ruin your "perfect body" if its the way you want your body to be.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's who you are. If the feeling comes back then there is something more to it than a phase. And even if you feel being transgender is a disease, the cure is transitioning.

But the way you phrased it is... crude at best.

You're young, don't rush into anything you aren't sure of though.

4. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i agree with kasey, i thought i was a trans*girl but im starting to figure out that i may be bigender. so just ease into it, and remember three places are gonna be your best friends, ec, youtube, and google. i used to indulge myself into transgirl stuff that i blocked out my thoughts as a male, so when i took myself from all of it when i learned all i wanted too, these new feeling came up of wanting to be a man and a woman just at different times. so just remeber you dont have to make quick snap decisions right then and there, and you never know, here in a few years you may feel different or you may not. :slight_smile: feel free to add me and message me at anytime. lol my wall is pretty quiet anyway.

#4 Anastaisa_Lynn_14, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  5. SimplePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh jeez I'm really sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone but now re-reading that I'm sure that's pretty much all I did. You're positive that you know that this is who you are and I'm not. And which I meant by perfect body...again sorry that was rude. It was into comparison to my disabled mother. Not saying having surgery is butchering it 'cause that's your perfect body, right. Well maybe having a female body for me is the perfect(right) one. Or the male one. Not trying to question you and your opinion or anything just need proof...

I'm freaking christian God didn't make a mistake on us and saying he did is saying he isn't perfect which is anti-christian. Which is why I'm questioning it so hard. Again really sorry. I could've phrashed the question way better than I did.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I'm not a religious person, maybe this will help:

[​IMG]

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not religious in the slightest, but if there is a god some huge controlling force in this universe then I don't believe he/it/she made a mistake. We were meant to be born a female buy we weren't meant to stay that way.

As for a mental illness, no I do not believe that it is one. Upon thinking about it I have realized that being transgender is a lot like having an auto immune disease.
    Take it from the point of my Celiac's. Some how signals between my brain and body got mixed so that any time I eat gluten I am in incredible pain. I become sick, weak, so tired I can't get out of bed, but in so much pain I can't sleep, and it can lead to such things as depression and in the long run even death if not treated. The way to avoid my body attacking itself and for me to be healthy is to avoid the trigger all together. So in this case I have to go on a gluten free deit.

Sounds somewhat similar to being transgender doesn't it? Pain, depression, death. Know something is causing this but not sure what. Like all diseases there are varying levels of illness depending on the person. Some people just want to know why it hurts, but beyond that can live with the small amount of pain they have. Others changechange how society views them by social transition. For the worst cases people have to under go injections for the rest of their lives and have surgery. Some people, to make sure theirs never gets worse, undergo that treatment as well.

Its how I choose to view it. I do not feel like I was born in the wrong body or that a mistake was made. In fact knowing me I'm sure I asked to be handed a challenging life that will lead to me being male

And just my opinion, no such thing as a perfect body.

8. thepandaboss

Well, think of it this way. Plenty of people are born without legs or lose them for another reason. But just because they don't have legs doesn't mean they have to accept that as a fact- they can look into prosthetics or wheelchairs.

When you're trans, transition can take loads of different forms. Believe me, you don't necessarily have to have bottom surgery if you don't want to. But having top/bottom surgery can help a lot of people feel more comfortable in their bodies and if you do want to transition, it's important to consider what path that journey will take.

9. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its all good! I understand! Sorry if I came off as cold and jugdemental (*hug*)

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know that god and science are not irreconcilable. Same thing with being transgender.

Are you a good person?

Then that's all that matters. Don't let the message be lost within doctrine.

11. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, there are a few things it will be helpful to remember. First, not everyone is sure they're trans from the start. I wasn't. It's okay to be uncertain, and it's okay to take your time to understand yourself.

Second, there's a problem with opposing transgenderism because "God doesn't make mistakes." People are born with congenital heart defects, developmental disorders, and all sorts of other problems. But if you follow the same logic with those, you would have to deny that those exist. Obviously, the existence of pain is a tough theological question, and probably the toughest, in my opinion. But it's fine not to know why God would allow someone to be suffer from gender dysphoria, just as it's fine not to know why God would allow other forms of suffering. Transitioning, like thepandaboss said, is a way of overcoming dysphoria.

Anyway, it sounds like it's a bit of a new concept for you. While some of the things you said did come across as rude, you're doing your best to learn and understand, and that's a good thing.

On a personal note, I will say that acknowledging that I was trans deepened my relationship with God. I was living my spiritual life as myself, not as the man I looked like to the rest of the world. If this does, in fact, turn out to be a long-term thing, then the most spiritually healthy thing you can do is to accept your transgenderism.

As for evidence that it's not a mental disorder, there's a lot you can look at, but I'd recommend going to the "Useful/Helpful/Informative" thread at the top of the Gender Identity forum. Everything on there is good, and the "Gender Basics" link has a ton of information.

Sorry, I rambled a lot. :confused:

12. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in relation with reconciling being trans with your religion, id like to share my beliefs. Some trans people may believe that God made a mistake, and thats okay. everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I believe that God makes challenges, not mistakes. if were trans, then it was meant to be. for whatever reason, He decided to challenge us. he knows that we could take it. so this is just a challenge for us to overcome, like having a physical dissability or a birth defect. i hope i havent offended anybody in any way.

13. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do think I was born in the wrong body and that I cant see myself living as a man for the rest of my life. I am nof a religous person so I cant say much about god or what ever it is having a say on how we live our lives. I really want HRT but it will be a long road to becoming a girl. The way I see it is it's the same as a catterpiller turning into a butterfly. A lifelong transfornation . I also have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of GRS even though Id like the lady bits.

14. jewell

No matter what you are you probably a great person and will have people who love. Either way would be fine and really only make a difference to you. much love<3

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Being transgender often (or most often) is biological. The brain cells are structured and so on mostly like one sex, the body the other. (for binary transgenders at least)

Please take due consideration before posting next time. Try not to be overtly offensive.

16. Just Jess

SimplePerson I for one was not offended in the least by your post. However when you use terms like "mentally ill", it does make you come across as insincere.

We are here to help and happy to give you the benefit of the doubt. We are all surrounded by messages just like yours, some of them are bound to sink in and I have repeated them myself.

In order to help or support you though, you need to keep open ears and you need to participate in the thread.

If you are not here because you need help coming out and space to be you, then you have already made your point. Otherwise welcome :slight_smile: