1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endocrinologist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pierrot, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Pierrot

Pierrot Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Have any of you ever been denied/rejected for HRT?

I've got an appointment with a Endocrinologist in August and my therapist has just sent of her recommendation letter. I'm worried that this new doctor will take one look at my mental health history and refuse me.

The concern is that hormones will increase aggressiveness and I've had violent episodes in the past. I'm currently stable and haven't had an episode for a while. Plus I'm on a lot of meds that keep me sedated.

So have any of you had this problem?

2. Just Jess

I have never been denied. It is something my therapist brought up way back when I got my letter, as far as why some people do get denied. But I mean if you are being successfully treated and your therapist actually recommended you, I don't think you have a lot to be worried about. I don't think you'll get a no; I think the worst you'll get is a conditional yes. Unless you have a drug interaction.

Even if you do get a no please do not give up hope. Therapists and doctors realize you being trans and closeted, and your hormone balance itself, can make your mental health problems worse. I have an FtM friend that can't take T due to I believe a thyroid condition. He finds ways to cope. I was out of the closet for an entire year before I could get my own hormones. It was rough. But I found little ways to keep my going, and those things continue to help me.

But I feel really confident you will probably get a path to a yes.

You are not any less of a man just because you have low T. You are a guy and you have always been one.

I have been diagnosed and treated for PTSD before coming from surviving child abuse. I know it's not the same thing, but I can still say that I've had mental illness and am on HRT right now.

3. Pierrot

Pierrot Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I needed to hear this, it gives me some comfort and I hope you're right. I'm glad you were able to get on HRT.

But, while I know that i'm a man, my family has told me that they won't acknowledge it until I'm physically one. I wishfully think that once they see physical confirmation of what i'm going through it'll finally sink in that 'yes, i'm a man and i'm going to legally be one'

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the main thing that a good endo is going to be concerned with is that you have treatment and that it's being managed. I have quite a bit of history in less than stellar mental health, but I'm consistent with my treatment and am under the care of a doctor for it. So getting HRT wasn't an issue.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had this problem, and I have underlying mental health issues as well. I was told by my therapist who got in touch with my case worker that the only thing that would have prevented me from starting T was if I was actively suicidal; which I wasn't.

While some guys did say they were quicker to get annoyed or angry, a lot said T made them more mellow, relaxed, calm, and all around Zen. If your episodes are a concern for you, consider talking to a therapist to work out your issues and find mechanisms to help keep you cool if you ever get heated.