1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binders & Things

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SabreBear, Jul 2, 2015.

1. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am (hopefully) going to come out as a FtM within the next few months. It's scary to think about, but it's something that I think needs to be done. As everyone calling me by female pronouns is starting to get irksome, even though I know they don't know any better.

But this thread isn't about that.

I am wondering if I could get any tips about binders, and binding tips and safety? I've done a bit of research about how long you should keep a binder on for (most people are saying 8 hours at maximum). Though I have little knowledge outside of that. Where do you get binders? How much do they generally cost? Do they have different kinds (different textures)? (How) Do you clean them? Any pro-tips from other FtM?

Thanks guys!

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I've heard 8 hours too, I usually try to aim for that or less. It's important to pay attention to your body though, if you're in pain or having trouble breathing you should always take it off no matter how long it's been on.

There's many stores online that sell binders, like Underworks, GC2B, and Lesloveboat. There's more, but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

I've seen price ranges from about $30-70ish. There's some very cheap ones on Amazon and ebay, but I would advise to stay away from those because I've heard bad things about them. Having a good quality binder is important.

There are different textures, I've only bought from two different brands so I can only know for sure about those. Personally I think the GC2B one is more comfortable than the Underworks one (I didn't like the fabric), but everyone has different luck with different brands.

I have a GC2B one, and I just put it in the washing machine on the hand wash setting. Some of them might require different ways of cleaning them though.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second what Max said.

How much they cost will depend on where you go. Some are super cheap, but those ones, such as on ebay, should be avoided because they can cause injury. Underworks and GC2B have some in say the $30s, and other sites like T-Kingdom and Loveboat are generally more expensive because they're from overseas. My primary binder is from Loveboat and with the shipping, I was looking at about $83.

Textures also vary, and my Air Max from Loveboat is super comfortable to where I sometimes forget that I'm wearing it. Some are thicker than others, and some can be cotton/mesh like. It all depends on the style you're looking for. Speaking of style, they come in different forms. Some are shorter, usually stopping a bit of a way above your bellybutton, some are full length, acting like tanks or t-shirts, and some are strapless and hug around you. They can be pull overs, use zippers, little hooks (kind of like on bras), and even velcro. Again, it depends on what you're looking for.

With my binders (I have two; my primary and my swim binder), I put them in the washer and then let them air dry. I've heard people say it's best to hand wash your binders in cold water, but I've yet to have problems; same goes for people who say it's fine to put them in the dryer. Personally, I think that depends on the material--so check out the site's FAQ to make sure it's safe. Also, a common sense pro-tip is to avoid using bleach on your binders depending on the color. My primary binder is gray and has a big bleach stain on the inside of it from dying my hair.

Pro-Tips:

* If you want to go swimming with your binder and the idea of chlorine scares you, wear a rash guard over it. Just be sure to rinse/wash it right after you get out.

* This is more of a common sense thing, but don't sleep with your binder. It will restrict your breathing, and that's not fun. Short naps are one thing, like bus rides, but not out for the count sleep.

* Never double up on binders. Sports bras are generally safe, but never wear more than on binder at a time. I know people who say it's fine, but you run the risk of hurting yourself badly. You haven't lived until you've broken a rib very slowly, and the recovery process sucks.

* Listen to your body! It will let you know where our limits are, and you shouldn't ignore them. I used to bind improperly (tightly with bad materials and all day *like 7AM to 10pm*) and I messed myself up badly to where I had to stop binding for what felt like months because I'd get dizzy after trying again for not even 15 minutes.