1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T and Thyroid

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I will need to ask a doctor about this, but just in case any one might know the answer.

In the past I had hypothyroidismhypothyroidism, though I haven't taken meds for in a year or had it tested in a little less than a year. Mostly because I hadn't taken my pills in three months last time I was tested and my levels were normal.

Now that I'm thinking of transitioning I wonder if hypothyroidism will prevent me from going on T. Doesn't help that I also have celiac disease and most thyroid meds use gluten as a bonding agent, so if I do have to go back on meds for it I don't if I can.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *Hypothyroidism is characterized by an underactive thyroid. I would think that T, being a stimulating hormone, should be fine. If anything it would help and not hurt. Though if you had hyperthyroidism then I might be concerned...

There are men who have hypothyroidism and have testosterone running through their veins every day. So I don't think this should be a problem for you. Though it still might be worth bringing up to your doctor just to make sure.

As for your gluten intolerance, you could try finding natural alternatives (perhaps through a specialized diet plan) to treat the hypothyroidism instead of the typical meds. Just a thought.

*Purely speculative... as I am not a doctor. However I have recreationally studied thyroid issues, and the effects of T, and also gluten.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I was doing some looking into it all. Women (I will assume both trans and cis) are at a higher risk of thyroidism and auto immune diseases because of the effect of estrogen on the body.
    On reddit and Susan's place have said T has actually helped them with their Celiac diaease / gluten intolerance (there is actually a difference between the two). As for the hypothyroidism most are fine as long as they take their meds, and some didn't know they had it till they went to their endro to start hormones.

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2015 at 03:46 AM ----------

As well I have also heard that a gluten free diet is helpful in the treatment of hypothyroidism. Mine certainly got better for a while, though the last few weeks my headaches and excessive tiredness are back.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you asked this.

I have hypothyroidism and was diagnosed years ago. I take medication regularly for it as well. I asked two doctors (one of them being my endocrinologist) at the center I go to if my thyroid condition would prevent me from starting or if it would make things complicated, and they said I should be fine. My endo ordered blood work a month after I started to keep a close eye on it, and my levels were within a normal range. I'm going in for a check-in on the 22nd for more labs, and I'll let you know how that went when the reports come back in.

I say to talk to your doctor about your medication options with the other conditions you have. I highly doubt this would prevent you from starting. My partner has a lot of medical issues, and he was cleared to start with me. You should be in good hands if you're being looked over.