1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a safe way to bind?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've more or less just started exploring my gender, and there are definitely times I want to bind when I go out but there's nowhere to buy a binder where I live, and I'm not able to order any online right now.

I've been doing some research about some ways to bind and what works for me currently is: wearing a sports bra, and then a second one over it but flipped the other way around, a tight tank top over that, and a loose t shirt and a large jacket/button up over everything. It's a bit uncomfortable and it's tight but it works, but I'm wondering if this is safe? I know there are a warnings about DIY binders and that they can be dangerous. Are there any other safe ways to do it?

Any information would be appreciated (*hug*)

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When not wearing my actual binder I just wear to sports bras. It more comfortable though doesn't do the job as well.

I would advice caution and start binding slowly, an hour at a time but no more than seven or eight hours a day

3. anann

One of the biggest concerns with safety is whether it effects your ability to breathe. It can also be so tight that it can break ribs. I don't see any reason why your method couldn't be safe, but I think it depends on how tight it is. You can actually have the same problem with a binder if you wear one that is too small. It is ok if you are slightly uncomfortable, but you shouldn't be in pain.

And as CadutiMorte said above, don't wear it too long! Especially at first you have to let your body get used to it.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much to you both! (*hug*) I'll keep the pain/discomfort scale in mind. At the moment there is some discomfort but it isn't bad, so I think it's fine. I'll watch my time and be careful :slight_smile:

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as you aren't binding too tight, you should be fine as long as you don't exceed eight hours of continuous binding. It's important to listen to your body, since it will tell you where your limits are.

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Daydreamer1! Yeah I won't exceed the limit and it doesn't feel too bad, so I think it should be okay. I guess I'll just pay attention to how I feel :slight_smile: