1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a new name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NeedToPickAName, Jul 4, 2015.

1. NeedToPickAName

So I've got a few in mind that I really like. I'm also pretty indecisive and this is a huge important decision. I feel some degree of personal connection with each name I've narrowed my list down to, and would be happy with any of them.

I guess my question to anyone who's been through this is, how did you personally make your decision? Was there an extent of trial run with friends or family willing to help and use a name for a bit and see how you felt being called that? Wondering what different ways there are to help make such an important decision.

2. randomconnorcon

I used my names among my friends, tested them out with my surname, had meaning for each of them. Eventually my list dropped to just one name - Nathan. And it was a good name, it felt good and right and like it was mine.

Until a few days ago. Because there was always a little something holding me back and I still had a name in the back of my mind. So I finally gave in and did the same thing with the new name; my friends now know what it is, it's been tested with my surname and it's meaning connects to my family. I think this new name will stay.

Trial and error is the best way to describe picking a name, especially if you have a list. And don't expect to keep one that you thought was perfect; a name you didn't even consider wanting might swoop in and suddenly feel right.

3. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh heck yes, I went from Rachel to Jennifer to Jessica and then finally I stayed with Anastasia because it fit. And I've just gotten used to saying my name is Anastasia and all of my personal info doesn't have my birth name on it.

4. BluhImCourtney

Okay, well, the first name I thought of was Dede, cause I thought it was cute and the initials of my birth name are D.D. so I thought it fit.

Nah. ._.

Then I went to Daphne, because it also started with a D, and I likes the Scooby-Doo character... but I'm definitely more of a Velma, in that sense. ._.

And then I remembered one tv show, Total Drama Island (hopefully I'm not the only one who watched that show. xD), and one of the characters on their was named Courtney, and I remembered when I used to watch the show as a kid, I had always liked that name, and had I been vocal about my gender identity, would have liked to use it.

... wow, tv shows really impacted my opinion on names. ._.

5. Posthuman666

I made my decision by looking at the meaning of the name. If it fits and sounds great, awesome. But to me, meaning is where the magic is. Once I stumbled upon Aisling, meaning dream. I knew it had to be my name. Plus, Aisling is also associated with a genre of poetry featuring damsels in distress. I would say being in the wrong body is pretty distressful.

But choose what you like. Hope your search goes well. :3

6. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree, I didn't choose my other three names cuz I didn't like what they mean but Anastasia fit because in Russian Anastasia means springtime and resurrection. Which fits me rather well because I enjoy spring time and I believe in reincarnation. I feel that in my previous life I was an important female role for the world I just don't know who.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me forever to find a name for myself. There were a few reasons for this. First is that my family has a naming tradition with all the males in the family and I had to decide if I wanted to honor that tradition or not... The system is a Biblical first name and 2nd name after a family member.

Basically I chose a name based on these factors: how it sounded, what it means, and what "sentimental" value that name has (aka traditional). I initially wanted to go with either an unusual or English name, but we'll known enough so it could be recognized, pronounciated, and spelled correctly.

In the end, and not entirely intentional, I went with a Biblical/classic name: Peter. For my middle names I chose Charles (the male derivative of my grandmother's name) and Rhys.

My family was not involved in my name choosing, however.

Don't rush with choosing your name. Try on a few, and ask yourself why you want this name. You'll know when you find the right one.

Good luck.
    -Peter-

8. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey, i just settled on my own new name. I finally decided on Aeron. After a couple months of name exerimenting and playing with it, i feel my most comfortable self when i go by it. So i decided to Legally change it. im in the process now, but idk how to tell my family. i kinda just asked them to call me that. its a mess but i just gotta be myself. i guess just listen to what your gut tells you!:icon_bigg

9. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made my decision kind of... randomly. More or less.

I wanted something that began with 'R' and Robert came to mind right away. I don't like the name Robert (don't hate it or love it). But it was the easiest and something to use while I decided to look for a "better name".

But then I got used to people calling me Rob online. And it kind of stuck.

And now I don't mind it. It also fits in well with my surname, so bonus points.

Just pick whatever suits you best. If you need to change it a few times before you find a name you'd like for good, then no one will judge you. :slight_smile:

(Or no one should.)

10. Natasha Elyssa

I looked at a list of names, and wanted to choose Ellie (like The Last of Us), but fell in love with Emmalee. I especially liked the spelling and sound of it. "Emmalee Caprice" sounded beautiful to me. I looked in the mirror, said it to myself, and it's been my name since. :slight_smile: <3

11. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through a few names, I originally wanted one that started with 'K' (like my given name) but I didn't really like any, or they didn't suit me. Then I began looking at names that just popped into my head, and finally fell upon Jason, and I feel it kind of suits me, and I like it. :slight_smile:

12. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    OHH I like Jason for you! You totally seem like you can rock jason

13. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

14. PlatypusBear

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Anytime! its all in the hair! got the right style!

15. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a few names I liked, but eventually I chose Wolfgang when I discovered that my grandma had always wanted a son called Wolfgang but only had girls.

What made me like it at first was the Mozart association and the meaning: "path of the wolf" or something like that. For me, the "path" symbolises the journey I am on to find myself. Not to mention that wolves are just a generally cool animal. :slight_smile:

16. NeedToPickAName

Thanks everyone for the input. I've been flirting with Natalie for quite a while. It's always been a favorite name of mine and it's high on the list of possibilities. I'm going to take the advice of trial runs, have my few friends that know try calling me Natalie and see how it feels. When I imagine things in my head it feels right, could be a nice fit for me. Thanks again to everyone for your contributions!

17. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope everything goes well and you find a name you love. :slight_smile:

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drew inspiration from people I looked up to. I considered going with what my parents would have named me, but it didn't fit.

19. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I went through a phase of wanting to change my name and that is when i realised i really like the name Lilith and i initally went with Blair before going to Maddison which comprises the primary part of my current name: Maddison-Lilith.

The funny thing about Maddison is that i didn't factor in it's meaning at all (which is what usually do when looking at names) and so went with it and found that it suits me and i really like Lilith so i chose to have two first names.

20. Astral

Hey boo :slight_smile:

When I was trying to decide, I looked up tons of girls names online and skimmed them for ones I liked, narrowing the list down to about 15. Then from there I took the top 5 off, and once more until I had five choices I really, really liked.

I made a poll here on EC shortly after and got some feedback, but I ended up going with the third place winner (Celeste) because it reminds me of the cosmos and space, something I have always been very passionate about. :slight_smile:

I found trick to finding a name that you will like long-term is finding not only one you think is really beautiful, but also has some form of significance to you. If you do that you won't be second guessing your choice later on down the road!

Hope I helped :kiss: