1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I really ftm? Or just creating problems for myself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hustle, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Hustle

Here's a lifetime of uncertainty and doubt, abridged (not really):

My issue is that I am rapidly approaching a pivotal point in my life where I am able to financially and socially make a transition into ftm, however, I feel that my desire to be male is more of an excuse for personal shortcomings rather than legitimate problems with my gender identity.

I’ve known from a very young age that I’ve wanted very deeply to be male - I socialized easier with males, like typically male toys and activities, dressed androgynously my whole life. Online and in-person I am frequently mistaken to be male without any effort… however, I feel no animosity towards myself being biologically female. I am completely fine with my body - outside the social stipulation that it instantly identifies me as female. I’ve always confidently identified myself as female in past schools - but more so because I saw those social circles as being temporary. I had no need to reveal anything outside from a provisional facade.

Most of my dysphoria extends from frustration with being treated as female - I despise being talked-to as a female in casual and professional conversation. Even amongst close male friends, who nonetheless treat me fairly, I am rather ashamed that our friendship is “veiled” due to my gender. I want myself to be “metaphysically” perceived as male, to be treated socially as one on a day-to-day basis.

Additionally, there's the issue of pregnancy and motherhood - which my family greatly emphasizes, yet ironically left me with a very, very poor desire to be in any maternal unit myself - and the idea of being in any matronly position is immensely undesirable and even horrifying to me. It's my worst fear, in fact, and the social stipulation for females to be mothers is deeply unsettling for myself.

Here’s my worry: While I feel neutral about being female, I still overwhelmingly desire to be male - why should I have to be stuck with an assignment I am woefully apathetic about when there are greener pastures to be found? However, I also fear that my desire to be treated as male extends from some personal incapability to deal with societal misogyny, that I should just suck it up and wait for sociocultural viewpoints to change as a whole. My entire life, I’ve been told by extended family that my fear of pregnancy was simply due to “not being at that age yet," not some inherent dissatisfaction with my gender.

So am I transgender? Or am I creating problems where none exist? I’ve evidently been fine with being female my whole life, even though I’ve always fantasized about being male. Regardless, I’m looking forward to hearing some new viewpoints aside from those limited reassurances I’ve been giving myself recently. Thanks for reading, everyone!

#1 Hustle, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Truthfully, you sound closer to being genderfluid with a stronger male side. The seeming lack of any serious gender dysphoria and your relative contentment with being female make it less likely that you are a trans male, there is also something very clean, technical and clear about your writing that feels distinctly neutral to me. Being genderfluid does not mean that you can't transition, it mainly means that you have the choice to not fully transition and still live a full and relatively happy life. Also transitioning half way is a much more viable option. For example just removing your breasts, dressing as a male, asking others to use male pronouns or taking hormones instead of all of them.

#2 Eveline, Jul 5, 2015
  3. enjeruciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with Yaeli, she's offered very valuable advice, and for people like you and I who don't seem to fit into any really well established gender identity, it can be confusing and we can sometimes dismiss it because we are not fully trans in the sense that we feel dysphoria with our female assignment at birth. You do seem to be more gender fluid with an emphasis on your male gender identity. I am in a similar situation, I identify as gender fluid myself with a strong emphasis on male gender identity, however my female and male sides seem to coexist relatively peacefully, however if I express my feminine side exclusively for too long, the masculine side forces its way out of me through physical changes such as cross dressing or changes to personal appearance such as drastic hair changes, etc. I also experience desires to have a male body and to experience certain situations with a male body, and during those times I experience gender dysphoria, however because I do not generally have gender dysphoria as a female it becomes gender fluid at that point. A solution I've found for myself is to physically express myself more as androgyne. I don't mind if people use feminine pronouns to describe me, however if people have to stop, do a double take and ask themselves if I'm a male or a female, I will feel satisfied in knowing that I'm expressing myself perfectly.

It's a pleasure to encounter another person with this situation. I wish you luck and happy exploring your gender identity~

#3 enjeruciel, Jul 5, 2015
  4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Yaeli, you sound gender fluid with a strong male side.

I am the same way though I have decided to fully transition to male. I love seeing my body as male and the female sight of me is starting to bother me. When in have a female day I usually find a way to express it through clothing or video games these days, but those days are becoming rarer.

Enje I love your sig

5. DiamondShape

First, let me say you have great vocabulary and prose. If you wanted to post the full version of your post I wouldn’t mind reading it in the slightest.
    You seem like a smart cookie, and your doubts regarding masculinity stood out to me as something I’ve debated within myself regarding femininity.
    You doubt the legitimacy of your gender-queer (GQ) status, offering alternate hypotheses for your masculine behaviors and inclinations in the forms of “an excuse for personal shortcomings,” or “extend[ing] from some personal incapability to deal with societal misogyny.” You’re describing some sorts of psychological complexes as competing explanations with being GQ.
    The corresponding questions/hypotheses I ask myself are: "Did I start to fantasize about being female because I was dissatisfied with who I was as a man?" "Did I start because the social role of being female seemed simpler to me, or gave me more confidence than a male role?" "Did a few fantasies get out of hand and I am now confusing them for identity?" But, ultimately, "Did I snowball an infatuation for being female from a few, non-GQ reasons?" is the real question I ask myself through any of these others. After much deliberation between the hypotheses and the GQ alternative I realized that these alternate hypotheses of mine are rooted in two personal self-doubts: I do not trust my own feelings, and I do not trust my fantasies to be indicators of my desires. Rather than trust my feelings or my fantasies I am searching for a rational explanation for them, describing them as psychological sand-to-pearls through self-psychoanalysis. And furthermore, I realize that I allow myself to entertain these alternate hypotheses because I am willing to believe that I am crazy--crazy enough to "cook up" a longstanding internal conflict. Or in other words; that I am as ready to accept a rational explanation for my behavior that relies upon me being too irrational to distinguish real from false thoughts as I am ready to accept my irrational impulses and attractions regarding femininity as a gender identity. It’s a scary amount of self-doubt when I put it to myself that way.
    Maybe you can also identify what key doubts or pieces of information lend you towards entertaining those complex-explanations when you soul-search. When taking both sides of a debate like this I find it’s important to be fair in my reductionisms and analyses; I have to be ready to search for the kernels that lend me to both disposition and explanation. To be honest, you sound quite sure that you are GQ, "[I've] known from a very young age," "dressed androgynously my whole life," "despise being talked-to as a female," and "I still overwhelmingly desire to be male," communicate that clearly to me. Exactly what kind of GQ is something you’ll need to search through gender.wikia.com for, but, in the meantime, genderfluid is a good catch-all. If you don’t truly feel incongruous with your female body I would advise against transitioning fully: it can be a hit-or-miss deal and is difficult from what I’ve read and heard. If you’re already taken for a man occasionally, HRT and a committal to crossdressing might be enough to give you the social interactions you desire. Check out /r/transpassing on reddit, it may give you idea of what you can achieve.

6. Hustle

Hi everyone,
    first off, I want to say thank you for all the thoughts and advice that's been given to me so far - it really means a lot that you'd all spend the time of day to listen to my worries and then respond so positively. It's heartwarming to read other peoples' own experiences. (Also, the comments on my writing style were fun to read haha. I had no idea it came off in such a way.)

Gender fluid/gender-queer is how I identify myself right now, though in a way that's more gender-obscure, meaning that I never reveal my gender online, never bother to apply pronouns to myself or correct people if they misgender me in-person. However, I also don't exactly feel as if I am gender fluid either, and as a result have never used those terms to describe myself. For myself, I enjoy a certain definitive-ness in how I am viewed - it's the current limbo that I am in right now that irritates me.

I neglected to mention this in my original post, but my current situation also doesn't allow me to be genderfluid - ie, much of how I will be viewed socially will solely be determined by what gets marked on paperwork - so either "male" or "female." In brief, this is the result of a career in a conservative field that is awkwardly dependent on contracts and documentation. There is no way for me to be genderfluid in the workplace - and subsequent bulk of my social life - because that option doesn't exist in my preliminary paperwork.

Obviously I've had no experience with this myself (and it comes off as cynical) but if being trans male garners me the social feedback I want AND it makes passing easy, is it... worth it? Of course, I could also just come out as genderqueer but that also yields an array of social unpleasantries with legal effects.

DiamondShape, I strongly agree with your sentiments. It's pretty evident I'm a more rational-thinking person that more or less disregards "extreme" feelings (much to my own disadvantage) and I do admit that part of my views are the result of emotional negligence. The fear of regretting permanent transition is something that's lingered very strongly in my mind. Glad to hear I'm not the only one amateurishly psychoanalyzing myself for answers! I will take your thought process into consideration.

Nonetheless, there's a lot to think about. What is the final push or motivation for people who feel genderfluid/queer their whole lives to finally opt for transition? CadutiMorte, I am particularly interested in hearing how you've come to your decision.

Thank you again to everyone that's replied. This is the first time I've ever come out with this problem. Such a welcome relief! ...And apologies for the wall of text.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In short, I have this overwhelming desire to be male, to the point it is all I can think about.

When I was in high school I suffered bad dysphoria but at the time I didn't know what that was. I somehow manages to cope though and it all kind of went to the back of my head where it would pop up every once and a while but only briefly. There have only been three times in my life where I have actively questioned my gender. When I was 14 and first learned what transgender was. At the time my gut instinct was 'that's me!' But when thinking about it I didn't fit the trans narrative I heard. I didn't know since a kid, and I was sure everyone wanted a hysto and hated boobs.
    I questioned again when I was 15-17 when my body made me so depressed that I wanted to die. I wanted my boobs gone and down below always felt wrong to me. But back then I thought trans people just magically KNEW they were trans. I had no idea what dysphoria was. I chalked it down to fat issues and being less than social. I forced myself to be more feminine and I numbed myself to my body. Of course my idea being feminine still left me looking very gender nuertal in the clothes department.
    Then now. Took me loosing weight and cutting my hair to see the man I could be. For the first time in a long time I loved myself. I really really love looking like a guy, and I really want to be one. Going back to being female is so distressing to me.
    I have decide to trust my instinct that I am trans. I know that if I don't I will contuine to question my gender through my life till I transition. It is hard to imagine a life where I am not male. Even when I feel female and gender neutral I just want to be male.

8. Hustle

CadutiMorte, thank you so much for sharing. I'm sorry you had to go through those periods of depression, but I'm also glad to hear you've found your true identity despite all that. Best wishes for a smooth transition!

Your thoughts have given me a lot to think about and there's a lot I can relate to, especially the bit about not fitting the trans narrative when you first heard of it... that's how I felt throughout most of high school too.

Thanks for the advice everyone.