1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might be genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by imnotokayx, Jul 5, 2015.

1. imnotokayx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I am biologically a female, and have never identified as otherwise. If it matters, I am bisexual. I have always been like one of the guys, I get along with them much better than I do girls. I have never necessarily dressed like a boy, but I also never really dressed very girly either up until just recently. I'm almost 21 and I'm slowly starting to develop a female style, but something in me is still drawn to male style....I had long hair all my life, and just last week i cut it all off, leaving it with a pixie/boyish hair cut. And when I looked in the mirror it was like I could finally see myself. I've never had the opportunity to dress like a guy, and never really thought about it because I had no intentions of actually becoming a male, and honestly had no idea that gender fluidity was something that existed. I always thought "I'm a tomboy, but it would be weird if I actually DRESSED like a boy." But now I'm not sure.....so not only am I coming out of my shell as a woman, but I think I'm also realizing myself as a male at the same time....is this what is happening? I mean my clothing style has been pretty gender neutral my whole life and now I feel as if I'm splitting into two people......it's a little scary.....any advice?

2. StanOWar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I consider myself genderfluid(right now) but I haven't been out very long. This sort of gender neutrality concept that you identify with is something I've seen other genderfluid people do. It is not personally how I express it, but my partner(who is questioning) goes out of their way to present very neutrally and they feel more female than male sometimes. I go drastically between very masculine and very feminine, which is a feeling you say you may be experiencing too.

My advice would be to explore this part of yourself more. My first advice is always to figure out how you feel before being too worried about labels, but I know they can be very important to people(making them feel less isolated for example). Give the masculinity in you some attention and time. Think of things that would help you express this part of you (wearing male clothing, not shaving, packing) and try them out. I would suggest small things to start with.

I am not in your body so I can't tell you what it is you are feeling. I can tell you that is resonates with me and how I feel so the possibility is there.