1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer, agender or androgyne? What am I?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OrangesNLimes, Jul 6, 2015.

1. OrangesNLimes

People around me have started attaching new labels to their gender identity recently, or indeed stripping themselves of gender altogether, and it's made me start to question my own gender identity. I was born a female, and am 16 years of age. I've mostly considered myself cis female, and she/her pronouns have never bothered me. However, although I've never struggled with my gender identity, I do firmly believe that gender roles are a social construct, and in my ideal world gender as we know it would no longer exist. For these reasons, I wonder whether I am agender? Not because I feel uncomfortable in my own gender, but simply that I think it best as a general rule to eradicate binary gender labels- the idea of having no gender appeals to me. Does this make sense? Physically I have short hair and am not particularly stereotypically 'feminine' looking in my physique, and do enjoy the idea of being mistaken for a boy, despite the fact that I feel comfortable as a female. Perhaps this means I am androgyne? Sorry for the rambling, I just don't know enough about this stuff, and wanted to see whether others have shared my thoughts, and if so, whether there's a clear cut name for someone like me? Although a part of me wishes I didn't need to find a name or label what I am or feel like, it would be helpful to have a clear cut word or two. Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. enjeruciel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As for your gender identity, I'm not quite sure myself as I am also discovering my gender identity, however I can relate to you as I also don't mind female pronouns and I enjoy it when I am mistaken for a male. However, with me it seems I have two genders in one, a definite feminine side and a definite masculine side that seem to coexist and share one body. Most of the time it is my feminine side that is dominant in my gender identity, however my masculine side does grow restless and lashes out by changing my hair and clothing in drastic ways at times, and seems to seek its own sexual expression as well, so this is why I identify as gender fluid. It's possible that you are agender I think because you seem pretty neutral when it comes to gender identity preferences.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Not being feminine and not liking gender roles might just mean you're gender nonconforming. Lots of cis people feel that way.
    Only you can say for sure what gender you are though.

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Since I cannot experience your (gender)identity, I can only speak to my own experience.
    To me the concept of gender is, emotionally/identity-wise, completely alien to me.
    I understand it on an intellectual level and why other people do identify with a specific gender, I just cannot connect it to my own identity.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like a cis female who doesn't like gender roles to me, and that's great. I don't quite understand the desire to shed gender just because of gender roles. IDing as agender won't stop you from being pushed into certain gender roles. People will still assume you are either male or female and stereotype you accordingly. Fight gender roles. Be a cis woman who refuses to conform. That does so much more to hurt gender roles than rejecting being a woman just because you don't fit the stereotypes.