1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns- what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OrangesNLimes, Jul 6, 2015.

1. OrangesNLimes

I was born a female who has always identified with the pronouns she/her. They do not have a huge impact on me personally in terms of associations and connotations, but increasingly I've been feeling more and more questioning of my gender identity- even considering identifying as agender, not particularly because I was not comfortable with being female, but because I hate the idea of conforming to gender roles, and shedding myself entirely of gender feels like the best solution. In terms of appropriate pronouns, obviously they/them satisfies this identity, but I don't really feel passionately about people calling me they or her or even he. Pronouns feel very meaningless to me personally (although I 100% respect others' decisions to be referred to in certain ways), and if I am to identify as agender, is asking people to use neutral pronouns sort of part of the deal? For me, I don't care too much what others call me, but I wanted a second opinion on whether neutral pronouns were necessary for shedding social gender constructs, or whether an agender person can still be uninterested in pronouns altogether.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think you should ask yourself "Do I have no gender or do I not want to have a gender?"
    Not that your idea of shedding gender is necessarily wrong, if I'm not mistaken the Buddha had similar ideas (lol).
    Also, gender roles does not equal gender.

Pronouns is of a very special and more or less irreplacable socio-linguistic thing, and while all-neutral or no pronouns might be a fair idea, it's not very practically... doable ^^

No, you can accept female pronouns if you don't care! That is perfectly valid.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm agender and I do not care what pronouns people use, unless it's obviously meant as an insult, for example calling me 'it' with a clearly negative/judging tone.
    In fact, that I did not particularly care that people mistake me for a woman on the phone is one of the things which led me to realising I might not be cis or gender-binary.

4. Keahi

Count me for the 'not particular about pronouns' camp. I'll often choose 'they/them' if asked my preference, primarily for visibility and to do my part to raise social awareness when & where I can, but the truth is that I'm happy to answer to anything well-intentioned.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can use whatever pronouns you want, regardless of how you identify.

I second Becki's question. Do you have no gender or do you just not want to have a gender? Because if it's the latter, I would actually recommend not labeling yourself as agender, both because it is inaccurate and because there are better ways to fight gender roles. It is a stronger statement to ID as a cis female and refuse to conform to gender roles than it is to shed your female identity just because you don't fit into the gender roles. If you do genuinely feel you have no gender, then don't hesitate to ID as agender and still use whatever pronouns feel comfortable.