1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Names?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I AM MEOW, Jul 6, 2015.

1. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does everyone pick their names?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go with names I have always had a fondness for

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I asked my parents what male names they would have named me. I framed it like it was a question for class. Then, I looked at names to see what I liked. I ended up liking Bradley, which is what I would have been named of I was born male.

4. Vine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I go by Vine online... so I wanted a name in which the initials formed the acronym V.I.N.E.. So I needed a 'V' name. "Vanessa" was the only 'V' name I liked. So I have went with this and have grown accustomed to it.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Wolfgang as it's the name my grandmother would have used for a son (she had 2 daughters). I happened to really love the name and its associations.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This a nice name with great history

7. TinyGuitarPlaye

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I haven't completely figured out my gender yet, but I thought of a kinda gender-nuetral name and then choose my middle name{ish} as the male version of the same name {anne, andrew}

8. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

I chose Forest first, because it is close to my birthname, Freja, but it didn't feel right. I chose Andrew Samuel, because Andrew and Samuel does feels right(and Sam reminds me of Sam from Supernatural), but it was just because it felt right.

9. randomconnorcon

I'm currently going by Connor because it sounds amazing to say and it begins with a C like three of my siblings' names. I went through many C names and Connor was my favorite. It just fits me. Samuel is my middle name because it's the male version of my birth name and I still go by Sam at home, so it felt right. I can say I go by my middle name if people later on life ask about it, which is good. My second middle name is Luke-Alexander (because it follows the same pattern as the middle name I was given at birth). I say it as one whole name and people say it sounds good to say.

10. Thessa Blossom

I knew since I was a kid what my parents would have chosen for a daughter, I might use it as a middle name.
    My grandmother, my great-grandmother and a few more of my ancestors where named Theresia. So for now I stick to it with a slight change to give it a modern touch.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always liked Alexander, even before I was out or thought I would transition. It helped that I had an emotional attachment to it and it had a deep meaning to me, so it stuck around. I thought about going with Andros because of how popular Alexander already is, but I couldn't let it go. The same goes for my middle name, I tried a lot of different things (I still get emails with some of them in the header) but I found the one that fits me the most and never looked back.

Some people ask their parents, go with a "genderbent" version of their birth name, go the inspiration route, or just pick whatever they like or sounds cool.

12. 8pointhunter3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose Riley because it's my favorite female name, and I like to rile people up and felt that Riley kinda went with that hobby.

13. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I picked my names that I just really liked, I actually went through a few names, then "Jason" just popped in my head one day, and that was it, same went for one of my middle names "Mark". With the other middle name I chose, I just used a male form of my grandmother's name just cause it means something to me. :slight_smile:

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it was a combination of choosing a name that I liked the sound an feel of, as well as the meaning. The name's meaning was really important to me. Also my family has a tradition with naming all the boys a Biblical first name and a 2nd name taken after a relative. So I needed to decide if I wanted to keep that tradition. In the end I did, because I wanted to honor my parents in that and also it felt like my name would have more personal meaning that way, rather than choosing a "blank slate" name.

I always thought the idea of asking my parents "what would you have named me if I was born a boy?" would have been cool... but that would be too suspicious and chances are, they didn't even think of a male name for me because they always wait till the last second to name the kid.

Anyways, I chose Peter. It has that classic feel to it, and it well enough known. Plus I don't know anyone named Peter so there are not personal associations with that name. My middle names are: Charles (male derivative of my grandmother's name) and Rhys (which was a personal favorite of mine).

Another thing I didn't want to do in choosing a name was too pick one too strange or unusual. It just didn't feel right to purposefully choose a "cool" or off-beat name... I want to have a normal name that doesn't get weird looks, and one that people can actually pronounce and spell.

So that was my very long story about my self-naming process. Hope all goes well with your own. Remember, don't feel rushed to cling to one name. Give several a go, try them on, and you'll know when you find the right one.

Cheers.
    -Peter-

15. Cedar

At first, I thought something like Jason would go well with me since people could still call me Jay. Now, however, I kinda like Liam. I was planning on changing my last name to the hereditary name of my mum's side(it's a long story) and keeping my first name something European-ish since I'm half Native American and European. I haven't really given it as much thought as I probably should be...

16. SpaceButtercup

I used to be jealous that my sister very clearly had a name she would have been called if she were born a boy. My parents never really had that for me. So I used to have a list of boys names I wanted for myself, like Taran, Caleb, or Brian. But now, if I ever get up the bravery to change my name I think I'd like people to call me something close to my current name like Lee or maybe my grandpa's middle name, Wesley.

17. OnyxPhantom

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol, I chose a neutral first name too, and you chose the same middle as me, ahaha! My middle name was also Anne, and I am also switching it to Andrew as well, what a coincidence!!! I first was thinking Anderson, but I decided that I always liked the 'Drew' part more, and chose it over Anderson. Andrew is such a nice name, isn't it? C:

Back to topic, I picked my name (Rowan) because I liked how it sounded and the way it it spelled. I also enjoy how it is generally a gender-neutral, but also a masculine-leaning (Though this is debatable from different perspectives?) name.
    I never liked my birth name, so I didn't want to go anywhere near it, and I didn't like the male names my parents would have chosen (Bruce/Benjamin) either, so I just chose what I thought sounded best to me in the end.

Other names that I had looked at were: Tristan, Jeffrey, Felix, Oliver, Kieran, Sage, and Luke.

I chose Andrew for a middle name because it was similar to my middle name, which I never had much of an issue with, but I might also use Thomas as a second middle name as well (I haven't decided if I will for sure).

So I have almost settled with
    Rowan Andrew [insert last name]
    or
    Rowan Andrew Thomas [insert last name]

I really like names that have meaning and a flow to them, but my last name makes it hard for that flow that I want! :eusa_doh:

So that is basically how I chose mine?

18. Two Shakes

I was born with the most feminine name ever (like the kind of name you'd picture a super "girly girl" would have) and while it was a very beautiful name, it definitely wasn't for me.

Ever since I was young I liked the name Rick, and when I got older I really liked the name Dirk, but near everyone I suggested that to said "no, that's weird", and I really wish I didn't listen to them because after all it is my name, not theirs, but I listened and ended up changing my name to Derek (because both Dirk and Rick are nicknames). I'm actually now considering if I should change the spelling bc I found another person with my name (which is really rare considering my last name) and they are.. annoying, and literally every time I've ordered food that involved my name they've spelt it wrong (even though I use the simplest spelling).

For my middle name I wanted to keep the initial (which I didn't do for my first name), G, and I chose Gabriel because 1. religious name and 2. a name I really like.

A conflict I sort of had to work around was that I'm Italian and I celebrate my onomastico, which is basically like your "name-day" (you have a little celebration on the day of the saint you were named after). Anyway I didn't know if there were any saints named 'Derek' so I decided to base it off my middle name (unconventional but more common than 'Derek') so now I celebrate it on the day for Saint Gabriel (basically the archangel in this specific case) which is on Sett. 29.

But I've known people who have changed their name a lot til they found the right one and I think the biggest thing when picking a name is to ignore what other people say and take your time and don't be afraid of changing things up! Even now I have a few names I wouldn't mind being called or going by in other circumstances.

19. Natasha Elyssa

I just fell in love with "Emmalee" and Caprice is my favorite station wagon and is a pretty name. Emmalee Caprice just sounded like it fit me. :slight_smile: <3