1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does it feel like to be in a relationship when you are trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Eveline, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is something that I've been struggling to grasp. Quite a few people who are trans find partners, have children, get married and live a relatively normal life. Being trans obviously has a profound effect on our ability to create and maintain strong interpersonal connections with other people. The disconnect that is characteristic of being trans, naturally means that we will always feel like we are wearing a mask and this means that our relationships would usually feel more superficial and less intimate. Yet, for you to love someone intimately, wouldn't you need to find a way to take off the mask and be yourself for the relationship to work? Am I just being naive here?

My question is, how did it feel to you to be in such a relationship? How did you manage to push yourself to actually seek out a partner without your gender standing in your way? What were your experiences like? Did you feel comfortable or happy in such a relationship or did it always feel a bit empty?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, for those who pass like 95% or even 100% it's just like for everybody else!

And even if you only pass almost that well dating and relationships can be pretty normal.

Perhaps you're rather thinking about pre-op and/or pre- or early HRT trans people? But I think that's kind of what you get out of the text, yes :thumbsup:

I agree then. Because I think I would find it very hard to be in a relationship with anyone now, pre-HRT, because I know that even if I met the most open-minded person in the world they would have a hard time viewing me as female. Hell, I can't even do it myself as long as my body is part of the equation, which it obviously is when you're in an interpersonal relationship with someone.

Haha, I guess the only thing that would work for me now would be a chat-only, no-pictures-or-video internet-based relationship. God, that's sad. HRT, how I want thee.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I have a long friendship before we got together. We came out to each other as trans in 2011 I think sometime when he was close to graduating and I was about to enter my senior year of high school. We were buds before that, and coming out made made our connection so much stronger and meaningful; having someone to talk to who really gets it when things got dark and shitty, especially since both of us were in dark places at the time.

Eventually, he was my boyfriend and I was his, now we're more than that, and it hasn't changed. I'm not sure what the big push was, but I fell for him hard and fast almost overnight after we lost contact with one another for so long. It's hard to describe the feeling, but being validated by someone who loves you back is the most amazing thing ever. He makes me feel handsome on my low days where I'm heavily dysphoric, and he makes me feel like a king when we're intimate. I've never been happier with anyone else, and I'm not sure how much of that is because he's a one in a billion and that I'm finally able to be honest with myself and be who I really am.

Before we got back, someone was interested in dating me. I was worried he would be turned off by my identity (I expect that from gay identified men), yet that seemed to be the last thing on his mind. I won't go into the explicit details of the messages and texts he sent me, but he really didn't seem to care or mind a thing; especially since I was still partially in the closet and pre-T at the time. We never went anywhere because we didn't have enough similar interests to be friends and I wasn't attracted to him on several levels.

For me, I feel that being in a relationship with another trans person makes things easier because the other person often understands the death grip that dysphoria can hold on someone and cis people sometimes have a harder time understanding. That's not to say cis people are bad partner options, but I never met someone that understands me more than my partner does. Relationships are totally possible pre-T, I've done it as have others. I'm that optimist that believes there's someone for everyone out there, and the perfect catch will love you no matter what; pre-transition, post-transition, or even non-transition.

4. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm aromantic and asexual, so I've never actively pursued relationships and kinda just tend to fall into them, but being a nonbinary trans person tends to make my relationships kind of strained.

However, I've been in a relationship with my fiance for quite a few years now, and she didn't know I identified as trans until we had been dating for about 9 months. Granted I never really tried to hide it, but I was pre-T and really shy about my gender identity so I just kinda let it slide and hoped she'd eventually catch on that I never called myself "she" or a girl. I ended up coming out in a sort of round-about way after her brother came out as trans, and I confided in him that I was also trans and would support him in his transition. So I think my fiance pretty much just found out through him.

I did end up telling her officially when I decided to start T and we were about to move in together. And she took it great! I knew she would, I wouldn't have been dating her if she wouldn't have. And TBH it's great. This is the first time I've been in a relationship with someone who actually supported me being trans and let me tell ya, it is the most validating thing I have ever felt. It is a completely different experience to be with someone who sees you for who you are, not for how you look or present, but really from the inside-out. My fiance sees me as a genderless person, it's just who she knows me as and it is soo good.

Comparing this to my past relationships isn't even a comparison. There was always something missing in my relationships, even one I was in longer than my current one, because my gender was seen as something wrong or something to get over. My gender has always thrown up barriers to people, but that's not my fault. That was the fault of my ex-partners. Gender shouldn't make relationships hard, if you find the right person. It might be harder, but worth it. Besides, why would anyone want to be in a relationship with a bigoted asshole anyway.

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you so much for the fascinating replies and stories. I wonder how rare it is for people to etart dating before they learn that they are trans... I know that most of my life I felt pressure to start dating and find a partner but I just couldn't see myself in a relationship. My body felt too wrong and the thought of lying beside someone caused severe body dysphoria. I'm also aromantic asexual so I also never really had a strong internal motivation to seek out a partner. I do know that since I learned that I am trans I feel much more open to the thought of finding a partner, however, there is still the body/mind disconnect to contend with and I'm not quite sure how to break that wall.

Was anyone able to date people before they discovered that they were really trans? I know that most of the trans community here are younger and as such discovered that they were trans about the time when people usually start dating, which makes my question relevant to only a small minority of people. However, if someone does have euch an experience it would probably help me underetand a bit better the frame of mind needed to date someone despite the huge obstacles that stand in our way.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did date before I was out or "aware" that I was trans. The weird part with one of my exs is that I saw myself as a boyfriend to her rather than her girlfriend, which was a bit strange. That was about two years before I started kicking the closet door down.

7. thepandaboss

I hadn't had things figured out when I was in my very first relationship, which was with a girl. Granted, we were both pretty young (I think I was about 14-15 when we first got together) and we'd both been pretty good friends beforehand. We were together for three years but I don't feel like we were that close. A lot of that was because she was kind of a distant person and I ended up moving across the country with my family. I definitely felt like the more masculine one, even though she openly identified as butch and I was pretty femme presenting at the time.

After her, I didn't date for a while and I eventually came out as trans. In fact, I actually never had sex until after I came out and I didn't have much of a libido either (my girlfriend and I never even open mouthed kissed in the three years we were together, if that makes a difference).

My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year. He's cis but I wasn't the only trans guy he'd dated or been around- in fact, we met through a trans group on Facebook. So, he did know a lot of what to expect. I think the big key to dating while you're transitioning is sort of making sure you're on the same page. What's the terminology? What can you expect? He caught on pretty quick to things that bothered me (like misnaming/gendering me- that will literally ruin my entire day) and we went from there.

8. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wonder if it has to do with sexual orientation being gender specific. Someone male who is attracted to men experiences the attraction differently than someone female who is attracted to men. I know that before I learned that I was trans, I was starting to have doubts about being really asexual mainly because I could see myself in a relationship with a girl when I viewed it from the point of view of a girl. That was extremely confusing as I had no idea it was even possible to transition and it is not as if I was thinking that I was deep down a girl at the time yet still I was doubting my orientation which was such a core part of who I was at the time.

I do know that I experience attraction differently from men, I'm much more interested in romantic intimacy than sexual intimacy and when I think of sex it's more an act of forming a strong emotional bond with my partner and the thought of sharing my life with them. The warmth of being beside them and becoming one person...

Just to be clear, this is my pesonal experience and I am technically aromantic asexual so I don't know how much of this is really gender related. This might just be a normal sexual expression variance of both men and women which is truthfully probably more likely than there being a difference between the genders in that regard.

#8 Eveline, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 9-13 I had a few crushes on guys but after that (around time first gender stuff came up) I just lost interest. I have a hard time imagine me dating as a girl, but as a guy it is easier.