1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just needed to let this out

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alb12, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Alb12

I just really needed to vent for a minute so yeah. The other day I was at my auntie's house with my mum and she (my auntie) made a comment about Caitlyn Jenner and her transition, surprisingly my mum wasn't aware and was saying how she was going go home and google it. When they first mentioned it was fine, like my mum referred to her as 'he' at times but I just corrected her but majority of times she used the correct pronouns.
    The next time we went my mum mentioned how she googled about Caitlyn and they ended up talking about it. Like I always thought if I were to figure out of I was genderfluid or something they would always be accepting but my auntie ended up saying she wouldn't like it if it was her dad and thought it was weird and that being gay is something understandable but changing your gender is just odd and my mum began to agree and they were saying how they wouldn't be supportive of it. I think what was the worst was the tone in their voices because they were so clear on how they can't be supportive. I also know my cousin (who would be accepting of anything) had already had a conversation with my auntie, I say conversation I think argument would be a better term, because she was obviously not supportive and if she was there she probably would have spoken up about it again.
    I wanted to speak up but idk it was just even though I have been pushing back thoughts of being genderfluid and ignore it all it was just really painful to hear them talk about how they wouldn't be supportive. I think also it was comment about being gay is okay but changing your gender isn't just because they couldn't look at you the same because it just feels really shitty to hear that from family and idk sorry this is probably written in such a mess but I just needed to let it out.

2. Vine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Though the conversation between them was innocent enough by itself, as the idea of transitioning genders is not something readily understood by all, it truly does suck to be going through such inner turmoil within yourself and then have the unasked questions in your heart to your loved ones answered in such negativity before you can even ask them yourself.
    It can take time for family to get used to things just as it can take time for people with gender 'confusions' to get used to. I hope you can find a balance within yourself and then your family can also find that understanding of and balance with you when the time comes.