1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT and weed?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Astral, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Astral

Hi my loves :slight_smile:

So I quit smoking a couple months ago because I heard that the chances of blood clots on hormones etc increases, but I was curious if that extended to weed as well? I'm an everyday smoker, but I'd be willing to cut it out if medically necessary.

Thank you as usual! :kiss:

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I've known people on HRT who smoked weed and that not affecting it.
    I don't know exactly...

Also, I know it's not my business and sorry for commenting on it, but smoking weed every day can be harmful in other ways, I think, such as inflaming things, causing cancer and giving you permanent brain damage...
    I don't judge. I disadvice, however...

Maybe you could ask your doctor? They have condifentiality, I guess.

3. BluhImCourtney

Uhm... Becki... Marijuana can be used to treat cancer. I'm not sure if it causes it, but... it treats it.

Now, marijuana sold on the streets... yeah, it can have nasty stuff, but medical marijuana... not so much?

Although, frequent consumption of marijuana can lead to other side effects than what you mentioned, such as a lost sense of self, hallucinations, and eventual complete apathy to everything.

And yeah, I think it can definitely hurt your lungs, and brain cells.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well yeah I just looked it up before I commented for some things it can do and it said like "4 times more carcinogenic than cigarettes." It also said bad for your lungs, yeah.

And well yeah, I just wanted to point to the general picture that it can do a lot of damage if consumed in too high quantities., like^ hallucinations and stuff like that.

5. ToneDef

ToneDef Guest

I've gotten baked out of my mind a lot of times, and I smoke weed every day (give or take a day off or two every other week or so... depends) and haven't ever seriously hallucinated, even after dabs. The highest hallucination I've ever gotten was sitting on my porch, watching the leaves from a tree create a popcorn ceiling type effect as I saw images morph one into another. And even then, if you stop focusing, everything goes back to normal. The highest you can get from weed is that of a low dose of psilocybin mushrooms, that's been recorded, anyhow. I got weed from dealers for a few years and have been buying weed from professional shops for a year now, with a lot higher strength than most street bud. 33% is some of the highest percentages you can get, when it comes to getting pot, which good shops regularly sell, and I usually pick up.

You can't get cancer from cannabis. You can't develop a sickness of any kind from the plant. If you get some illness, let's say something like Schizophrenia, it's because it magnified the issue hidden within. To, which I will say, is also the consumers fault for not doing research on the topic. The only part of smoking pot that will give you cancer is the smoking part. You're not supposed to light anything on fire and inhale it. Smoke is toxic. I've never actually heard of a case where someone got cancer from smoking, when it was cannabis, although it's not impossible.

Weed is used as an anti-inflammatory. The permanent brain damage thing is also a rumor, although it will temporarily affect your short term memory as long as you continue to get high. It 'freezes' some of those brain cells, and when you stop for a bit, they thaw out. I find it takes me about 2-3 max weeks to be completely clear headed after regularly smoking.
    Humans have CBD receptors which are built to work hand in hand with cannabis. There's a reason it's used for medicine.

Weed is also not a sole reason for someone having complete apathy for something and a lost sense of self. People deal with these issues regardless, and it's the consumers fault if they can't handle the plant. I won't deny that it can magnify issues that someone had already but I find it ridiculous when someone says it's the plants fault. You wouldn't blame the beer for someone being an alcoholic. I have loved ones that were diagnosed with less than a year to live and used marijuana as a medicine, and are alive almost 10 years later.

Sorry to come off so defensive, it's a touchy subject for me and I've done my research on it. No offense intended. Just felt the need to chime in.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't imagine smoking weed would do anything different to you on or off hormones since our bodies are made to take it in. Talk with a doctor, do some research (there's lots to be found), and keep your peace of mind in mind. If it makes you uncomfortable, toss it aside for a bit until you feel differently. :slight_smile:

6. Lazuri

Weed almost exclusively affects the mind. I don't think there is a single recorded death due to ,arijuana causing physical health problem. It's toxicity is virtually non-existent.

7. thepandaboss

I doubt blood clots will be a thing to worry about.

Anyway, I'm a personal user. However, it's not something I use all the time and there are certain strains I avoid and I avoid edibles period because I don't like how I feel on them and it doesn't help me at all- if you have anxiety or you're a lightweight, you're going to handle edibles really, really poorly (at least in my experience- I say this as the guy who literally threw up for ten minutes straight after a chunk of pot fudge). I think a lot needs to be done when it comes to proper regulations, especially if we're even going to consider marijuana as some kind of medication.

That being said, smoking also isn't the best method for taking weed medically, since it does involve inhaling carbon (potential lung damage). I still enjoy the occasional pipe or joint once in a while.

Once, while really, really high, I remember flipping out and almost falling out of bed because I wondered what the hell happened to my penis "where is it??" So, getting really high, not for everyone.

As a plus, it really, really helped as a pain reliever, helped when I was really depressed, and has made so many movies that much more enjoyable. When I saw the Donald Sutherland "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" for the first time, I was genuinely really freaked out at the end.

8. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Unless your doctor says otherwise, I would personally avoid large amounts of weed. I don't smoke it at all, I tried it once and all it did was make me buy some munchies.
    One of my old friends used pot a lot and it kind had negative effects on his personal live. Just go with what you know you can take after seeing a doctor.

9. jewell

I don't think it can do more than the normal harm it does which is little. I love weed and highly recommend it :grin:

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol I always feel so weird when people talk about weed, mostly because I have always chosen not to do it. Guess I never saw the point of it, but if that's your thing then great.

I don't think any harm will come from smoking weed and doing HRT, but I'm not a doctor either

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say talk to your doctor about this to see if it would have any negative effects on you. I doubt it will, but I'm not a doctor so what do I know?

12. DoriaN

Pretty much this.

I've thought about keeping a personal supply on me in cases where I might have trouble sleeping, if my anxiety gets to be too much, or if I get migraines; as marijuana is useful for all 3 things.
    Much better than a drug pill with x billion side effects.

There's a lot of stigma around it, but imo the best advice is to treat it like alcohol. Don't smoke/eat and drive, don't abuse it, enjoy it as necessary.

13. awerosie

Smoking anything - nicotine, pot, hash, potpourri and so on is not good for your health and can contribute to lung cancer. According to the Journal of the American Heart Association latest studies indicate there is evidence to suggest that use of marijuana may increase blood clotting and significant effects in the tiny vessels that bring blood to the brain and heart and that even after blockages are cleared, the flow remains slow. If you can give up smoking your health will be better off for it.

14. KayJay

My doctor has no concerns with weed other than for my mood, he has concerns with cigarettes though. So if I doctor is cool with weed and HRT I'm assuming you're good to go :slight_smile:

15. Astral

To everyone concerned about the health affects of marijuana on me; thanks for the comments, but I've been a weed smoker for over four years, and advice about quitting from people who've only tried once or twice it is... Well, yeah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm not new to it, but it is an easy to quit habit (as most long term smokers can tell you, it's about two days of short nerves and restless sleeps followed by being okay) that I was only concerned about it reacting badly with HRT. :slight_smile:

Good to hear everyones experiences on the correlation, I will ask the doctor when I'm in next though. :slight_smile: Thanks for the input!

16. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Studies have shown that people who smoke weed have lower rates of lung cancer than even non-smokers. Studies in Israel have also shown that it also can fix the problem that causes cells to become cancerous in the first place.