1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm genderfluid, but I'm a bit confused.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Latia, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Latia

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there. So, I've just recently discovered what non-binary identities were, but I still don't know too much about them. I think I may be genderfluid, I'm pretty sure I am actually, but I wanted to ask for others' input since I'm not too clear on the definitions.

Up until this year, I've identified as a girl. I've always been rather tomboyish, and I do remember wishing that I was a guy sometimes as a kid, but I always thought that was normal. But recently, the passing thoughts of "what if I could be a boy" have become much more extreme. I've started experiencing gender dysphoria and I hate it. I hate my body, I hate myself, I want to cut all my hair off and I feel like I'm trapped. But this only happens like 30% of days. There are some days where I feel kinda in between as well. Anyway, on my "guy" days, it does make me feel a lot better to dress like a boy an push all of my hair into a beanie. I cringe when people call me my given name, but pronouns surprisingly don't bother me that much. My voice even changes a little, which my friends have begun to comment on.

Anyway, I could go on about this forever, so I'll stop there. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance :icon_wink

2. Fentrion

You do not have to use made-up labels to identify yourself. None of them can accurately describe your unique standpoint in a heteronormative society.

I'm sorry that you hate your body, but I fear that will only lead to suffering. The only person who can stop this is yourself, and the only way you can do it is through acceptance.

Trust me, there is a reason for you living in a female body. But that does not mean you have to live your life as a typical girl. As long as you love and accept what you have, you should have no problems with adopting a more "masculine" identity.

Good luck

3. Abdadhie

If you do want to fit into a 'label' then it does sound like you're bi-gender or genderfluid. Now, I may be interpreting Fentrion's post wrong but it feels like he's saying that you should just put up with being a female and that isn't right. The whole point of being genderfluid is that you can express yourself as male or female depending on how you feel.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll work it out eventually!! Goof luck!!!

4. Fentrion

I only meant that she accepts the body she has right now and works with it instead of hating it. If she decides to call herself a guy, or genderfluid / bigender I can respect that. But I'm afraid some people never would, and she'd have to be strong enough to contend with them.