1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I've considered doing, but don't know if I should (advice time!). See, I've been off Facebook for about 3 years now. During my period of isolation and depression, I distanced myself from socializing and went off Facebook. Well since I'm soon going to be coming out as trans and finally living out in the open like I should be, I was thinking of going back on. Plus if I did that and also told everyone I was "friends" with then it would make my public coming out a lot more effective.

But I don't know... Should I use facebook to come out to all my acquaintances and extended family? This would be after (probably between 1-4 weeks) I came out to my parents and siblings.

One con is that it would - ehem - "dirty" our family name. Which I'm sure my parents wouldn't appreciate. Though really, if other families are going to dis my parents or siblings because they have a trans son/brother, then they aren't real friends anyways. It's not like my identity affects them personally.

Any advice is appreciated.
    -Peter-

2. TheHatter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My advice, which im not trying to act like i have all the answers is...fuck it. As long as you know your parents wont kick you out, or hurt you physically (your safety should come first) then go for it. It doesn't matter if they think it will "damage their name" fuck that! Use Facebook to come out. If it will help YOU make YOU feel better and make YOU happier. (while keeping your safety first) then I say go for it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: <3

3. randomconnorcon

I agree with TheHatter. If it doesn't hurt you/get you hurt in any way, then come out however you feel is best. And when telling a larger number of people, I like the idea of Facebook. If someone doesn't see it, chances are someone else did and will tell them. So your identity is known. How it affects other people doesn't matter because it shouldn't at all and if they say it does they're not very nice people. How your parents take it/deal with it is something only you can decide on (after they've dealt with your news themselves), but as long as you know they won't affect your safety, maybe it's something for you to deal with later. You could warn them/talk to them beforehand.

#3 randomconnorcon, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. Posthuman666

Completely agree with everything else said. Your safety is the most important, but it's your life, not your parents. If you want to come out to everyone then that's awesome. Don't let your parents control your happiness.