1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalized transphobia or valid/stupid concerns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by oncetherewasa, Jul 10, 2015.

1. oncetherewasa

I'll see if I can get this to make sense.

I like structure and rules and definitely need them to feel comfortable.
    I've been thinking maybe the reason I'm in such limbo and have been feeling so horrid is because there are no rules to being trans; there is no guidebook or even a way of thinking to yourself "I will be like this in 5 years" and I FUCKING HATE THAT.

I also think that I have a fair amount of internalized transphobia. Sometimes I really can't help but feel like a fucking mental patient or a delusional person meant to be pitied.

I don't want to have to rely on synthetic hormones I can never stop taking, I don't want to go through surgery, I don't want to go through any of that and lose my entire family and realize that it's not good enough, that I'll never be who I truly am.

I'm literally so upset with myself. I've never felt comfortable in my body since puberty. And I know I have a perfectly fine body by female standards. I've never had weight issues, I have "curves", I've got a fucking huge chest for a slimmer person. But I hate it. I hate when people look at it, I hate when people notice it, I hate when people compliment me for it.

Everyone is always saying to love yourself and accept yourself no matter what and I can't do that. I've been subconsciously hating myself the past 8 years of my life.
    Basically, I'm ashamed of my body because I don't feel a connection to it or that it represents me and I'm ashamed of even feeling this way because what the actual fuck. I feel like a failure of a human.

And it sucks because when I see other trans people's transitions and stories they're so beautiful and I think "wow, what a strong person, they're actually happy and free" but even thinking of myself transitioning makes me feel depressed, ashamed and scared. I don't think I'm strong enough or that I even love myself enough to transition or try to make myself happy.

Like, I just want to live and not be thinking about all of this 24/7; my brain hurts and I feel like just shutting down.

Idk if anyone has any advice for any of this but it would be appreciated.

2. Fentrion

For what it's worth, I'm sorry about your situation.

Beyond that, there is not much more that I can offer. I understand that you want a guidebook or structure of sorts, but do you really want to try to mold yourself according to rules set up by others?

If you want to stop feeling dysphoric over your body, the only advice I can conceive is for you to accept your body. That might be difficult for you, but I can not think of any other option. You are a unique person who doesn't have to fit himself into made-up labels.

If you do accept your body as it is, and love yourself.. Maybe you can then work with what you have and pass as a guy, if that is what you desire. But you must be aware that some people may never accept such "deviance" from what they consider to be "natural".

In my humble opinion, just focus on loving yourself first and foremost, regardless of your past and regardless of what your body looks like. Then you can determine what you want and how you can get it.

Good luck

#2 Fentrion, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. Posthuman666

^^ Completely agree.

Self love is the most important thing you can do. I repressed everything I was for my entire life. It almost killed me. There is no reason to not love yourself.

Look at Ryan Cassata. He doesn't take hormones, he's not getting SRS, and he is happy and has a loving girlfriend. He did get top surgery, that is true, but he is still a great person and a fantastic signer. You don't need chemicals to be you, you just need you.

If you ever need anything, feel free to contact me anytime (*hug*)

4. DoriaN

Sounds a lot like me.

I wrestle with inner issues a lot.

5. oncetherewasa

I don't really want to mold myself into something set up by others; I've been trying to do that for awhile now. I just want to feel more grounded in my identity and my place in this world. I actually don't like the idea of a large part of who I am being this dynamic "adventure" with no solid structure that I can understand. I feel like it should just be, just exist that way already. That I shouldn't have to be struggling with all of these thoughts/feelings that create conflict with who I am and what I've got.

I'm not even sure how to start accepting my body. I'm used to it by now but it contradicts how I feel the majority of the time. I don't know how to be myself when I am the way I am, physically.

I feel like everything is interconnected; my dislike of my body, my dislike of myself, my aversion to most people because I don't like how they react to me. I don't know. It's like I have this constant inner battle going on that won't give me any peace. It's pretty hard to love yourself through all of it.

But thank you for the support.
    Does anyone have any tips for how to start trying to love yourself? It's just reallyyyyy hard for me.

6. Fentrion

If you are finding it particularly difficult, I could tell you of three steps.

First step is to know yourself.

As much as we would like to figure out and solve your problems, they are not of the practical nature and therefore the only person who can truly help is your own self. Maybe instead of looking for answers "out there", start looking inward, figure out who you are, what you want, and what you can do to get it. Look into your interactions with other people, what you give them, and what they reflect back at you. Try to remember and relive your past, regardless of how painful it can be. Do not try to suppress or bury it. It's not something to espace from, but something to learn from.

And then, accept yourself.

By that I mean your past, current life, your wishes, desires and tendencies, good and bad. Accept your body, even though it may not be ideal for you. Accept the people in your life, even if they seem mentally unsophisticated or judgemental. Do not disown any part of yourself, even if it seems "feminine", or fragile or weak. Ultimately, every one of us is weak, regardless of sex or gender identity as some call it. Yet we continue to blunder, trying to come to an understanding that is enough to make a difference.

Finally, forgive yourself.

Forgive anything that seems to you as a flaw, imperfection or mistake. This may sound easy, but it can be extremely difficult for conscientious and self-critical people. This step could be the hardest one of all.

But all of this is not supposed to be done and over with in an instant. It's a process. You'll gradually develop an understanding about yourself that can not be put to words.

All that said, you can also try to consciously enjoy yourself. Treat yourself a dinner, play games, listen to music, exercise to make your body release feel good hormones. Try meditation, yoga or binaural beats. Get a pet if you don't have one already. Make friends and talk to them, online or offline. Consider the full part of the glass, replace your discontent with gratitude for everything you do have.

Ultimately there are no mistakes, no flaws, no imperfections. The only thing that is flawed is our inaccurate perception of ourselves.

#6 Fentrion, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I just wanted to add that it does not always work like that. If OP can accept himself in the future in his body and be happy, great for him in that case.

Many or most (at least binary) trans people cannot, however. Acceptance isn't an option and transition is the only way to be able to present as their inner selves and be happy.

I had a short time when I didn't find the idea of pills or surgery attractive. But now I want it more than anything.

8. Fentrion

It's good you pointed that out. I wanted to convey that he can try to accept his body even if he does want to transition. I guess that would sound counterintuitive to some, but it could make his life easier.

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of binary and non binary trans who love there bodies, but transition so who they are in the inside can be seen on the outside

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Yes I agree. Anything that helps OP feel better is good. The decision can be very hard to make for some and it's good to hear that the possibility to not transition exists, although of course it's also good to hear that that might be less work or more work than to transition, depending on a lot of things like amount of discomfort and so on.

11. oncetherewasa

Thanks, Fentrion. That was actually really good advice. I've been meaning to give yoga a try and going for bike rides usually makes me feel better. I've just had trouble motivating myself to do anything recently.

Yeah, I just feel like I'll never be fully comfortable in my body. Transition will probably help, though. From an objective viewpoint I have doubts over whether it will or not but I know that just having top surgery and especially doing HRT can make such a huge difference in your perspective and feelings on life. I just need to get to a point where I feel comfortable doing it.

I've had a few moments where I've wanted nothing more than to start transitioning immediately but I always seem to quickly, sometimes suddenly regress back to being afraid/ashamed, etc. For that reason, I don't think I'm ready to transition. And it probably does have to do with not fully accepting or liking myself and that I'm trans.

But a lot of people who have transitioned say that they weren't 100% sure if transitioning was right for them or would help them before starting HRT and that they just kind of took a leap of faith and it turned out to be the best thing they could have done.
    So that just makes me feel like shit ugh.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

That must really suck, OP :frowning2: I can't entirely relate. I'm sure... and that feels good... but you are right in not stressing yourself if you don't feel ready.

I guess you might need some more time to think about transition?

And doing everything you can to relax is always good for you!

13. oncetherewasa

I'm not sure. I might just need to become stronger and more assured of who I am and that it's okay that I'm this way.

My whole family (minus the parents) are super homophobic/transphobic, like "I'll never speak to you again! *insert bible quote*" so I've always had this deep sense of shame and disgust associated with myself and how I am.

It's difficult for me to talk about my gender identity with anyone because of this. I find it incredibly difficult to be vulnerable and open up about how I feel because I've been hiding and repressing and outright denying it (even to myself) for so long.

I think I just need time to accept it and myself and where that places me in society. There are so many obstacles and hardships because of it.
    [The legal aspect gives me a headache and anxiety: name change, sex marker change, how to get a job if documents conflict each other, etc]

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Well, perhaps you should ask yourself one thing - if there was no stigma in you transitioning, if there were no stupid obstacles like legal obstacles, and if you didn't find it annoying to get T - if it were only for yourself and your own happiness - would you or would you not do it?

That's something to think about...

Lots of love