1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chronic illnesses and hrt/top surgery? People with medical experience appreciated.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I AM MEOW, Jul 12, 2015.

1. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were a perfectly healthy individual, this would be no concern, but I have multiple chronic illnesses. The two I'm most concerned about are hypothyroidism and myasthenia gravis. I would ask one of my doctors, but my parents go to most of the visits, and my pcp is kinda creepy.
    Myasthenia gravis (translates to "grave muscle weakness") is basically what is sounds like, and any kind of steroid is kind of a big no-no because they can worsen stuff to the point it could kill me.

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Chronic illnesses and hrt/top surgery? People with medical experience appreciated

I've read several post on other sites where people have gotten top surgery with hypothyroidism (something I have as well) and were fine.

The other one might make it rather difficult though. You will have to ask your doctor as only a medical professional can tell you for certain. Probably try to talk to them alone when your parents aren't in the room?

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Chronic illnesses and hrt/top surgery? People with medical experience appreciated

With HRT, you should be fine with your thyroid condition. I have hypothyroidism too, and my endo cleared me to start. I'm not too sure about the other one though, which is something to ask your doctor to see if you'd be okay.