1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysmorphia vs dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People on here tend to use the two terms like they can be exchanged with one another, but in truth they are two separate things.

Gender dysphoria is the feeling/state of unease and/or discomfort with ones gender and sex traits.

This is dysmorphia

I just wanted people to know that. It has been bothering me for some reason.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Definitely not the same thing!

3. Im Hazel

These are different things that are pretty similar in a general sense, but totally different when you get down to it. You can have both though. I probably have both. Like, everyone with dysphoria probably has it in some sense. But at the same time, no. I guess the difference is that people with dysphoria have nothing wrong with them. Transgender people have lots wrong with them, compared to people of their actual gender. Like, I have so much wrong with me, compared to girls. But at the same time, there is nothing physically wrong with me. It is just that I have some mental shit going on up in my head. Nothing wrong, but very little right, either. IDK if we should bother comparing these things, TBH. It seems irrelevant. And if you have dysphoria, you have dysphoria. Whether you have dysmorphia as well or not, it's kind-of irrelevant... IDk.

#3 Im Hazel, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What's interesting is that the disconnect often caused by dysphoria can actually make it harder to hate your body because of a physical defect. For example, I have a disfigured leg because of cancer, I've never really cared about how it looks because I've always felt disconnected from my body thus I don't really see it as part of who I am. On the other hand we will often hate a body part because of how others perceive our gender as a result of it or what that body part says about us in relation to gender. These are clearly symptoms of gender dysphoria.

I believe that dysmorphia can become more big of a problem once a person starts transitionng and the dysphoria begins to lift, making the person start hating body parts as they look too male or female...parts as they look too male or female...

#4 Eveline, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. DoriaN

Wow, I have that ;_;

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably have both... Haha.