1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Korra and Gender Identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Tomgirl, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Tomgirl

The easiest way to explain my gender is to say I'm whatever Korra is. But beyond that, finding the right words is hard. Cis-woman, sorta masculine, but not masculine enough to be "butch". Uncomfortable dressing girly on a daily basis, but can pull it off for special occassions. Still presents as female. Preferred pronoun she/her, but actually obtained a PhD to go by " Dr." on official papers instead of Miss/Ms/Mrs for dysphoria reasons. Vomits a little when called "a lady", prefers " dude ".

Any fans of the series out there? How would you describe her (and me)? Androgynous? Gender-ambivalent? Gender queer? Help!

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify with Korra too :slight_smile: Let's hope another season will be made :wink: Unfortunately, I've found somewhere that it is the animation studio that ststed that there end of LoK was ultimate :/

How would I describe her? Good question actually. At first blink it seems that she's cis-female, but is more msculine as a person. She never really identifies as anything else openly.

It might also be the case that she identifies as non-binary but doesn't tell anyone or doesn't feel the need of explaining or requesting pronouns or sth. Everyone treats her not so feminine in the end, 'cause she's the avatar, right? The avatar's soul is sorts agender or androgyne, half of incarnations are female, half are male. I think that what I like in this series is that it doesn't matter in the end what one's gender is, and there are few situations in which it influences how character interact with each other. So, em, gender neutral treatment --> purpose of a non-binary person achieved, so no requests needed, no expressing that needed.

Androgynous? No, I wouldn't. Androgyny seems to have a quite narrow meaning of how someone looks like, and Korra doesn't look like this, nor does she seem to identify with this sort of look. But maybe someone else will understand it differently.

Gender-ambivalent, or rather: oblivious. Yes. A lot.

She's a tomboy a lot. At least wht I have in my head as an image of a tomboy. Not butch, tough. But not femme too.

3. Tomgirl

Thanks! They actually just announced a comic series launching in 2017 so Korra will be back in comic book form, and by the original creators too. The first book takes place when her and Asami come back from the Spirit World.

I agree with you on androgynous. I find it's used more for person who are really in the middle, and not for people who present female, but not feminine, like Korra. I wish there were more words to describe the middle of the femme-butch spectrum!

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, great about the comic book :slight_smile:

5. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yay! Love LOK, can't wait for the new comic.

About what she would identify as though, I'm inclined to say androgynous but it's a bit different from that. I'm kind of new to terms like cis female and most other terms on the spectrum so I'm not sure.

Though I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direcion of a good source for finding out more of these terms. (๑ - ₃ -๑)