1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Agender Babes! (I have gender questions)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Celestial, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Celestial

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a little while ago I made a thread seeking help with my gender identity. I thought I had found the answer and that androgyne was a good fit. I have both a mix of masculinity and femininity in my personality and behavior...but doesn't the majority? you can be a feminine male or masculine female and still identify as cis right? so my question is, can I be masculine and feminine and identify as nothing? I experience masculine and feminine energy depending on how I feel mentally and emotionally atm. internally I don't link that to a specified gender. I just recognize it as changeable energy. the majority of the time i experience a neutral state. it's almost close to nothing, but something. it's like a blank state, but something is there...but I don't think that it's a gender. I think it's just my being? I don't feel like I'm a mixture of a man and woman. I just feel like a person who does/likes masculine and feminine things? does man have to = masculine and woman = feminine? I feel like a walking genderless yin-yang. nonbinary is the best I've got so far lol. but I wanted to ask you beautiful people how you experience being agender? I've read online definitions...but personal and internal experiences are different from that. plus there's soooo many different ones lol. I would love to hear from you all!

#1 Celestial, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Ineedmywaifu

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tots, there is a difference in gender expression and what gender your identifying as. I just think that gender has to do with what you want people to see you socially and how you feel your identity is regardless of appearance, sex, etc. I have a feeling you'll sway away from being cis to the non binary side wherever you label yourself and that absolutely ok. I think agender and masculinity and femininity can be together as expression is just the way you'll act, gender is who you are, not by the type of personality you've got. Can't really add on to agender experences, But I can say I've felt bigender before but that was on circumstance.

3. MonsterAnarchy

im trigender, and fluctuate between male, female, and agender, but im agender most of the time. my gender depends on how i feel at the moment and/or who i am interacting with. To me, it sounds like you carry traits of a gender with fluidity whether it be gender fluid, bi/trigender, polygender, pangender... But trigender is how i DESCRIBE myself, rather than defining myself.
    its fine to find a label, but dont rush it c:

4. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Well, to me the terms 'male' and 'female' seem alien, in the sense that I cannot fit them with my own experience of my identity. I understand, on an intellectual level, what other people mean when they say 'I'm male/female', but I cannot honestly say the same about myself.

These links might help:
    Five Things You Should Know About Your Agender Acquaintance | Autostraddle

Agender-agenda

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 12:05 PM ----------

Also second Ineedmywaifu's statement: gender identity =/= gender expression.

5. Sevan

Someone who is cisgendered and appears androgynous has a gender expression (I call it presentation) of androgyny, but still has a gender identity of cisgender.

Keeping this in mind, an androgynous gender expression is very different from an androgynous gender identity. If you feel like your gender is a mix between the male and female identity, then your gender identity is androgynous. If you want to present as someone who is caught between the lines of masculine and feminine, then you want to express the androgynous gender, or present that way.

I'm someone who is agender and presents with a neutrandrogynous expression. That means that I don't find myself identifying with either masculine traits or feminine traits. But my presentation is a neutral mix of them both. And the way I feel sometimes seems to align with your description.

Storytime! [this is my personal experience] For me, growing up, I felt this disconnect with my body. I always have. And it was frustrating to me for a very long time because I had this expectation that as a DFaB individual, I was expected to align myself with feminine qualities that I didn't feel comfortable with. Throughout high school, I hid my shame in loose clothes because I loathed all of my feminine features. After high school, I moved overseas for a year and began to reinvent and explore who I really was. It was frustrating. On the one hand, I wanted to dress more masculine, if only to counterbalance my feminine features. But I didn't know what this meant. Did this mean I wanted to be a guy? Or that I just wanted to crossdress? Or maybe I was going through some phase? At the time, I only understood the binary genders. And I didn't feel that I was comfortable identifying as either of them. Unfortunately, I didn't know what that meant. Fortunately, I learned. But it was tough to figure out.
    Now, I find that my agender identity means that I just don't feel like a male or female, and I also no longer feel any obligation to act more in line with one gender or the other. Because while there's a spectrum, I'm not on it.
    Personally, it was simply a disconnect from either gender. A sort of numbness to either side. I felt distinctly uncomfortable in a female identity, and just as uncomfortable in a male one.

Try not to be focused on anyone being able to express as androgynous. It's one thing to come across that way, it's another to actually identify as a mix between genders. If it's what you truly feel you are, you shouldn't be intimidated by the idea of cispeople presenting that way too. Anyway, I hope you figure things out! If you have any questions you want to ask about my experience or anything, feel free to drop a message on my wall. I'm always open to conversation.

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^^ this
    It's one of the reasons why I hardly ever bother coming out with regards to my gender identity; people start asking why I don't dress/act more adrogynous or sometimes even conclude that I'm not really agender becaues I don't present as androynous.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like agenderness to me. Mainly because you said, "I experience masculine and feminine energy depending on how I feel mentally and emotionally atm. internally I don't link that to a specified gender."

8. Celestial

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you told me this in my last thread and I should have just listened lmao! I thought because I experienced whatl dubbed as "masculine" & "feminine" that I had to link that to a gender. now I know thank you so much for being amazing!

thank you soooo much for sharing your story! it helped a lot. I feel extremely similar to you. I just don't experience body dysphoria as much. but I don't look at myself as being apart of a binary. when I do masculine or feminine things I dont link that to me being a man or a woman or even a mix. I look at it as, me being me. I know I'm not either of them because I see the difference between me and those two genders. Nor do I want to be either or even in between. it feels repressive. which makes me feel like I don't fit anywhere sometimes :\ I do things that both of those genders do...but not because I feel like I'm one of them. it's just in my behavior. when I took on androgyne, over time it just made my internally feel like I was putting on another mask. like I had to act femme & masculine all the time. or that I had to act like one of the other in certain moments...but that's not me. it makes me feel like I'm trying to be something or to prove something. that's not authentic for me. me doing whatever I want for the sake of my own comfortability and not caring about what gender I'm serving is me lol. before when I expressed femininity or masculinity I didn't link it to gender. I was comfortable with that.

thank for responding & sharing links! they were really helpful. the comics were cool! lol. I feel very mutual to you. I'm neither of them. I'm confident in that for sure. I feel like including any form of binary into my identity represses who I am and it makes me feel like I have to be a certain way...I'm not very fond of that. gender roles (even if it's from an inbetween gender) makes me feel like I have to adhere to something instead of me just asking myself what I want for myself and what I'm comfortable with. I'm masculine and feminine in behavior. but not 100% I take on the traits that I'm comfortable with and what I feel like fits. but not all female traits fit and not all masculine traits fit either. ex: being non emotional does not fit me, neither does being submissive.

your gender is very broad and beautiful :slight_smile: for me personally, I never feel like a man. I never feel like a woman. I just feel like I do some of the things that both of those genders do. but I never wake up feeling like either of them. just me. I don't feel like I'm a cross between both genders either becaus i dktn feel like im either if them. I just feel like a person who does/likes masculine and feminine things. I do express those things in a very fluid manner though. just because I don't really care what anyone thinks. it's about what makes me comfortable. wearing a dress, okay. wearing heels or carrying a purse? no. I don't like doing things that make me feel like I'm embodying a gender. I like doing things because they're fun or comfortable lol. hopefully that makes sense. Im just trying to figure of what that means. I guess im curious about the difference between experiencing an "inbetween" state and nothing. I feel like mine is just nothing haha.

you broke it down like Marijuana :kiss: I didn't even consider that personality & gender don't have to sway together. I always thought who you are redirected back to your personality and I based my gender off of that...this, cleared up a lot. my personality is sprinkled with masculine and feminine characteristics. nonbinary definitely fits. I'm neither a man, woman, or both...I guess im just an agender space alien haha. I don feel like I'm enough of anything to be anything. this makes a lot of sense as to why I always have felt like no one understood me or that I didn't fit anywhere. I always notice the difference between me & everyone else! it makes me feel so alone like I don't have a place for who I am anywhere. like I'm a literal alien in human flesh. I think agender fits. I dont wanna be anything. I just want to be myself. it makes me feel naked and like I'm not hiding behind when I don't take on a gender...which is scary. but, I'm going to stop typing because its making me cry now lol. thank so much for everything! truly.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

The distinction between gender expression and identity is important, most anyone who'd see me would assume I'm 'male' based on the way I dress and 'act'. A question I often get when I do decide to come out to someone is: "But why don't you dress/act more androgynous?".
    Just act the way you feel comfortable. Only you know what your gender identity is and the way you act, dress, or look does not invalidate your gender identity.
    Also with regards to dysphoria, that's not inherently part of being agender.
    I, for example, experience no dysphoria whatsoever, because I don't experience sex and gender as the same thing.

10. Sevan

Linthras makes a good point here, that it's not necessarily expected for agender individuals to experience dysphoria. But I would also point out that not every transperson of any gender, binary or no, may experience dysphorias.

Unlike Linthras, however, I do experience dysphorias about my body. As an agender individual, there's no expectation that you will or will not experience it. It depends on the individual's perception of their own bodies and how much that ties in to their gender identities.

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2015 at 02:03 PM ----------

Be who you are comfortable being, and under the label (or lack thereof) you are comfortable under. That's the most important thing. Don't feel obligated to act a certain way because of how you choose to identify! It's good that you're going for comfortable, that's what you need. You don't need to prove anything to anyone, just remember that you are who you are. Good luck! (*hug*)

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

:thumbsup:

12. Celestial

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this makes a lot of sense. I personally dress according to my mood. the way that I act usually traces back to how I'm feeling atm or are just my personality traits. that can mean masculine, femme, or both in expression. I know now its not a gender thing, its a feeling thing for me always lol. I guess I confused my expression with my identity. so far I'm comfortable identifying as nonbinary. removing binary labels for me is like coming home and taking your bra off after a long day of caging them lol. it's so relieving. i feel like I can just breath without worry, expectation, or restriction! it's a very nice feeling. agender is snuggly. I can work with this. calling myself agender also doesn't make me feel like I'm trying to be anything. as far I as dysphoria goes, I do know not all agender people experience it. it's just that I do sometimes.

i know :slight_smile: i was just agreeing because i feel dysphoria sometimes. like I wish my breast weren't as large and noticeable or that I never got a period. sometimes it bothers me other times it doesnt. I had a melt down when I first got my period and was told that it was apart of "womanhood" and would be with me for the majority of my life lol. I didn't want to become a woman. I didn't want to worry about woman things or man things. I just wanted to play and to have fun. that's how i still am to this day honestly lol. it just wasn't fair to me. growing up I rejected a lot things that made me feel like I was embodying a binary. and if I did, it felt weird or uncomfortable. but now I know why! it's because I was being forced into having a gender when I didn't have one in the first place. *sighs* it's all falling together :lol: thank you so much for all of your insight. thanks so much for sharing with me as well.