1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal for dysphoria to grow?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MidnightStar, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it normal for your Dysphoria to continue to grow?
    There was a time in my life when I barely noticed I had any dysphoria and life was simple and smooth. And then it just exsploded the more I thought about my feelings and mindset, it felt like I was driving myself insane. And I couldn't understand why it continued to grow because at one point it was barely noticed.

2. Acm

Acm Guest

That's pretty normal, I've had that happen and I've heard lots of other people say the same.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Sounds normal to me.

One thing that can trigger it is coming out to yourself as trans.

4. Zinogre Queen

yeah, no, that seems about par for the course. back when I realized I was trans around seven years ago it was this big "holy shit" moment of clarity and suddenly I realized why I felt the way I did and it was this huge weight off my shoulders and I thought the world was finally starting to make sense and my new-found knowledge of myself would help me become a more extroverted and confident person. today is the first day in a week where my dysphoria hasn't induced a massive depressed episode that mostly ruined my day. >_<;

5. KJA

KJA

I really started to notice my dysphoria after coming out as trans. I don't know if it grew or if I am not aware of it and can identify it. Makes it feel bigger than it did before.

6. oncetherewasa

Definitely. For me, realizing that I was trans and then admitting it to myself caused what was previously only minor dysohoria to grow. I think being more aware of your true feelings/desires/self always makes dysphoria worse.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    True, often.
    I might add though, that it is a "it has to get worse before it gets bigger" thing.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I agree with everybody else. It does seem to grow for a lot of people after they come out as transgender.

9. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking back, I can see roughly four different levels of dysphoria I've gone through. I have almost no memory of questioning my gender as a child. As a teenager, I began cross-dressing in secret, and became very frustrated with my voice and body hair. About two years ago, I began researching topics like transgenderism that had been taboo. At that third stage, the dysphoria kept escalating. Now that I identify as a woman, it comes and goes in waves, while always lurking beneath the surface.

10. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don`t think my dysphoria is bad, but I mostly get stress when I`m not wearing girls cloths. I have really noticed how flat my chest is.

11. Im Hazel

For me it grew. But maybe it didn't IDK. It seems like it could have stayed the same, and just redirected. I mean, I used to have problems with being touched. After accepting my gender, that disappeared, as if the mental unrest had been transferred to dysphoria.