1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria Tips

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Posthuman666, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Posthuman666

I have found for those who can have some pretty bad dysphoria, especially seeing themselves naked, which must be done to shower or bathe....

Shower in the dark. It sounds really weird, but you can't see yourself, so any dysphoria is drastically reduced. As long as you know where your shampoo and soap and all that is, it isn't hard. It helps me a lot because I can clean myself without feeling really bad.

But the point of this thread is to share any tips any of you have found about dealing with dysphoria, no matter how strange. This will serve as a compendium of coping skills.

So, any tips?

2. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Lazing around the house?
    Suddenly, lack of a certain something down there hits you like a brick in the face.
    But wait, no packer?
    Just roll a sock up into itself, a thick-ish one, another pair of undies over the top, place sock in designated area and poof. Some dysphoria cured.

*Note, this does work for me. I'm not sure how well it'll work for other guys

3. souverian

usually I get by from just watching a lot of first-person videos online and waiting for the dysphoria to pass
    seperately, masturbation can help a bit for me but I know for some people that doesn't work very well
    really as someone who doesn't have money, it would be nice to find some coping skills that don't involve buying things

edit: oh, I remember that singing along to someone who is the opposite gender also can help, or at least does for me sometimes

#3 souverian, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  4. randomconnorcon

I think about myself in the future and what I might look like with T and top surgery. Having a goal of sorts, something to look forward to helps me because I remember that how I am now is only temporary. Like I'm not born in the wrong body, some things just went a bit wrong and I'm gonna fix it.

I also watch YouTube videos for tutorials to make things like packers and harnesses, so I know what I need to do when I need them.

Other than that, I just try not to think about my gender. Which is really hard, I know, but sometimes I find something to do that makes me feel happy and I forget for a little while.

5. The Purple One3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't even... All I can do is wait for head hair and shave the rest

#5 The Purple One3, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My Dysphoria is only mildat worse, but I feel really uncomfortable when wearing boys clothing. What I did was Shave my body, paint my nails, Wear a necklace that is passable, and wear panties, and or leggings. Basicly as much feminine I can be in public without crossdressing. I got a Manicure kit I want to try out on my nails, pampering myself is so much fun.

7. KaelTail

One thing I've found to help my dysphoria is art. By expressing my identity on paper when I can't express it in the physical world, it helps me feel like I did something to vent my frustration with my body. It's even better when I draw something I'm really proud of and post it on my social media sites so my friends can see "me" for who I am. It gives me a sense of control over the way people perceive me, and helps me envision who I will be once I can start hormones. This keeps me focused on more positive thoughts when I know I can't physically transition anytime soon.

Similarly, playing The Sims and creating a male "me" in game can also put me at ease, or playing online (MMORPGs) as one of my male characters. When I play online, people see my male character and assume I'm a guy. It feels great!

Other than that, obvious things like wearing my binder and dressing in more masculine clothing helps, as well as trying to style my hair to look more like a guy. I'm the kind of person that, when something's wrong, I can't just sit there and process it. If I do I get sucked into negative thoughts. I need to physically do something, or at least something that gives the illusion that I'm doing something to fix my problem.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've usually been acting in some way, for as long as I can remember. I think that's how I stop myself from going completely crazy.

When I feel dysphoric; I ask myself "Am I overreacting?" and "How would a cis guy feel in this situation?" Those 2 questions prevent many counterproductive outcomes. However, sometimes I still end up crying after showers.

It helps to know (or at least I've thought about it a lot and I'm usually correct) that I'd be almost exactly the same person if I was a cis guy. Some people would always find reasons to try revoking my man card, if that makes sense.

I limit how much I read about transsexualism, otherwise I feel sad and very little gets done.

9. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote cis male characters. It's very helpful.

10. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

-contact someone from your support network. Whenever dysphoria hits me, I tend to contact a good friend of mine who I can rely on to help me through it via message.
    -do something to make you laugh. Instantly I look up funny animal vids on YouTube because a goat that says 'What what' will make me laugh...or laugh cry.
    -honestly let the emotion. I just have a good cry to let the tension in my body out. If I keep it in then it'll build up and who knows when all that pressure and emotion will release? Better to let it go in the moment.
    -Doll myself up and take a pic. Put binder on, shave, put on some nice clothes and take a really great selfie. It helps to lift your mood up a little bit because goddamn, there's no denying that you look great ( it cheers me up sometimes too :3)
    -Listen to music that makes you happy
    -pyjama day/comfort clothing day. Just do nothing and stay comfortable. You deserve some me time so binge on some shows, have a little junk food and just chill.
    -cook a delicious meal and eat it because who cooked this delicious meal? You did. Your awesome LGBT ass did because you're awesome.
    -masturbating can help too for some
    -napping or even doing something on your to-do list can help you out of you dysphoria

11. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Distracting your self can help. I mostly read a book, play with my dolls, or play League of Legends.

12. hsiwi

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to music.
    Using a packer
    -(before I had a packer/before I was out, I knit myself one.) Ravelry: Knit Dicks (penis) pattern by Camie Rigirozzi
    Buying clothing (online). (If I have no money, I just fill my cart and then X-out without buying anything.
    Going for a walk/run with music.
    Giving my dog a bath.
    Calling a friend/acquaintance.
    Baking.
    Starting a project.
    Talking to little kids (they are so much more excepting, you tell them you are a guy, they usually just go with it.) it's the most incredible, reassuring thing I've found. (I borrow a neighborhood kid (am good friends with most of the parents and am a frequent babysitter for a bunch of families) and go to the park.

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MtF, and stuck presenting as a guy for whatever reason? A sports bra will hold whatever breasts you do have, and you can still tuck in your panties if having a bulge downstairs bothers you.

14. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I desperately need a cupless sports bra, but sadly I've hit my lull between paychecks. Buying a full wardrobe is expensive, but fun. I think trying to paint or draw fashion might help me express myself. At least I have alot less stress nowadays when I'm at home. Panties are the best. I would not recommend tucking unless your wearing something that would show the bulge. I also really want this off white lace bikini that's at one of my favorite stores.

15. thepandaboss

Mine sort of comes and goes. Couple things tend to personally work for me though:

- Video games. I need to kill something when I'm angry about the world. Plus, anything to get my mind off of things. You can pretty much be whoever you want, huge plus. So something like an rpg with character customization is great if you feel like you're forced to be someone else most of the time.

- Good food. I'm a little less spazzed out when I'm at least full.

- Talk to right people. You don't want to be around people who don't get you or have a misgendering habit. So if I'm really put out, I just stick around home with boyfriend

- Pack/bind/etc if it helps. I don't usually bind to be honest but I will pack a lot of the time

- Music. I like mine angry. Or incredibly cheesy. Or both. Interpret as you may.

- Punching/exercising. Get the blood flowing and take your anger out. Plus, exercise releases endorphins which are a great mood booster in every situation. Highly recommended no matter how fit you are.