1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i dont get why i dont pass

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by smokey-knows-all, Jul 17, 2015.

1. smokey-knows-all

i look in the mirror every morning and i look like a guy. ive still got a baby face but im only 17 so its not that unusual, and my voice is getting deeper, and i only use the guys bathroom when im in public, yet nobody ever uses the right pronouns. ever. my teacher called me she today to the whole class when a few days ago i almost ran straight into him when i was leaving the bathroom. i just dont fucking get it. i'm finally starting to see myself looking okay but nobody else does

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people who you have known since before you identified as a guy might be used to calling you by female pronouns and not care enough to make an effort to call you by male pronouns. If you didn't pass at all, then you probably would have a harder time using men's bathrooms in public.

3. smokey-knows-all

i didn't know any of my classmates or summer school teachers before transitioning though

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I know the feeling of being in a way surprised when people misgender you.

I had it this morning in the hospital. It makes me feel confused and exasperated at the same time, like I'm thinking "Excuse me?" and "Not this again" at the same time in my head. And I don't even pass well, I don't do makeup or so on a daily basis and I'm pre-everything.

Passing is a fickle, tricky thing. What you see is not always what others see - it's like looking at the world through an upside-down mirror sometimes.

Are there things about your appearance you would like to work on?

I'm sorry to hear that these experiences have left you disappointed. I can feel your pain.
    At least in the future, things will be better for you. Right now, it's good that you're doing it for yourself to make yourself feel better.
    And maybe some adjustments would help you pass better.

Hope that helps
    hugs