1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I trans for the wrong reason?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Newbonzy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say I'm a girl, but my friends are telling me they doubt me. They say I'm just "going through a phase" or that I should be more careful about this decision. The one that got to me the most was a friend saying "I think you like the thought of being a girl, but you don't feel like one."

Suddenly, I'm trapped. I asked him why he said that, and he told me that I don't act like his trans friends. All of his trans friends have been talking about their own identity for months or years, and this was the first he ever heard of me saying this. I wasn't them. And he's right. Not once have I insisted on people calling me a girl. Not once have I publicly cross dressed past some panties or painting my toenails. Pretending and fooling no one just seems stupid.

And yet his whole transgender deal been plaguing my mind ever since I came out. My mother and my therapist both are supporting me on this situation - even my trans friend currently undergoing MTF hormone therapy supports me. Yet I have been completely shut down because I don't "Feel like a girl". And what scares me even more is that he may be right. I can't feel like a girl because of this body. I've looked at myself in the mirror and continue to hate myself. If I'm not a girl and I hate being a guy, do I just continue being a guy and get over this "phase"?

This hasn't come out of the blue, either. I've looked in the past and have been flooded with memories of times when I was able to do girly things and felt a weird flutter in my heart. Even when I was 2, up until I can remember I see all the times I did girly things and felt a strange peace. I even had fantasies of being a girl. I would love to be a girl, but right now... I don't feel like one. And how can I? I've been a guy 21 years and I look, sound, and dress like one. Everyone treats me like a guy anyway - it's a constant push away.

I could keep talking, but I shouldn't. I just need to know what's going on. If I don't feel like a guy, is it so wrong that I don't feel like a girl in this guy's body? Am I not a girl because of this? That I'm justifying a reason for my depression and hate for myself? After a few months, will I "come to my senses"?

I won't do anything for the next 3 months or so, but please help...

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, its not wrong nor will it ever be for you to feel like a girl in a guy's body and i dont think that you are justifying your feelings for your depression, from what you have said about your experiences i do think that you are transgender

3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha I connect with this a LOT. So. Nobody has any right to tell you your feelings. They don't feel them. They can't see them. And. AND they set their own feelings on top. They project.
    You feel like a girl. Like that's your role. Right? So then you're not wrong. I don't insist or ask to be called or referenced as a female. In fact I recognize that his is the body I got given and even of I don't like it it is what others see. And their opinions matter. Not a lot but they are valuable to me. So if they call me a boy I don't say anything. I should perhaps. But I see their fears or confusion. It's not a big deal.

You are not less of a girl by being stuck in your habits or your body.
    And just because you are identified and make people more comfortable as a man you are probably a much more beautiful woman. It's ok to take your friends opinions into consideration. It's sweet compassionate and, funnily, quite girly. So.
    Do you think that he is any less of a man if he acts caring or compassionate or frilly from time to time?

You are you. So breathe. You're doing it for the right reasons. It's what you feel like. I get that peace and that tingle in my heart when I act like my internal gender too.

4. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, Peacemaker. It certainly feels this way, and I've told people I had a girly mind for the past 4 years or so . But when my friends warn me otherwise, that's what's got me worried.

There's like this... community of MTF's that adamantly talk about it and are so sure of themselves. The archetype. And since I don't do the "major" things like force people to call me she or crossdress, it has me uncertain.

Like... why is that even a thing? O~o

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2015 at 11:50 AM ----------

TobaccoFlower... Thanks... One half of my friends tells me that it's alright, that it makes a little sense, and that it's okay to still enjoy guy things like burgers the size of your head or playing video games.

The other half though is worried. I can't tell if they're projecting - you can't see the forest through the trees. So when they say things that are supportive but worried, that's what's got me so attentive. They're right. It's a one way road. I mean... I felt like a girl in my head for a long time, but now, in only a week, I went to just being a little femmy to wanting full-blown surgery.

And I'm so impressible, the Caitlin Jenner thing and the LGBT legalization sent me on this loopy spiral. So who's to say they're not justified in thinking I'm just in a phase?

5. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha of course it is. I woodwork and I fix stuff, I am considering creating a little forge in my garage and I smoke a pipe. Those are all REALLY manly things. But I don't know a single physics/medieval geek on earth who would pass up a chance to make a sword of their very own using their knowledge of metals. It's fun. I like my hobbies. But just because I have hobbies doesn't mean I'm a boy. Plenty of women smoke pipes. Plenty of women love to sculpt and create art with their hands or be self reliant. It's how I was raised. Your likes and wants, if they come from the girl within you, are no more manly than if a girl did them. :slight_smile:

no, I get it. I did the same. I started painting my nails last week and I finally opened up to it and since then I have blown open to myself and I am perceiving everything in a more natural way. I don't hate myself for acting "gay" (feminine) or for showing how happy I am by showing it like a girl might. Nobody seems to care and it makes me happy. I went from 0-60 and I wish I could change my body too but. It IS a one way path and it might be best to just take a breath and enjoy what you do have while you're here. You're feeling vindicated and at peace for once right? That's a new feeling. Don't take it for granted. I'm reveling in it. But I'm trying to be cautious. Nobody's opinion matters but yours. But if you go slow I've heard it makes it easier, socially, and I imagine it gives you ime to appreciate it more.

I get it. I feel the same. But it's the way it makes you feel. Are you just excited or are you finally being you and just nervous about it? I feel like me and I'm shy. I'm afraid nobody will like me anymore. But they will. And if they leave then another closer friend will take their place. Change sucks. But if it's real you will feel it soon.

6. starm

I don't think anyone can instantly pass as a woman suddenly, but in your situation, actually dressing and putting make up can help. Buying woman's clothes is a must, but it sound like you have depression...

7. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a valid point. Personally, I don't know if I'm going to ever get surgery done on my downstairs. I'm feeling pretty happy just wearing glasses that hide my thick eyebrows and acting how I feel. Maybe just ACTING how you feel and not shaming yourself can help express it a bit if that makes sense. Unless it's the visual side of things that you're most concerned with.

8. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And this is where the whole issue arises. *Chuckle* Cross dressing to me is actually rather unsettling. At least walking about in public. It makes me feel uncomfortable. A girly hoodie or wearing skinny jeans is one thing. But even the word "wig" sends a shiver down my spine.

I don't know... I can't tell if that's just a "me" thing or if it's proof I'm just cisgender male. ><" The thought of people thinking of me as crossdressing and getting my jollies out of it is the last thing I want. Unless you mean things I can hide. That's a vastly different story.

As for what you asked, TobaccoFlower, I'm scared and excited. It's a relief to feel such acceptance from mother, but my sister and my father are going to be a hard sell. Yeah, I think moving slowly would be more beneficial. "Nobody's opinion matters but yours" I'd disagree about that. I'd like to keep an open ear to responses and feedback. Even when harsh. (*hug*) Thanks for the input. It's been a crazy week.

9. Latia

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there can really be a "wrong reason" to be trans. If you feel more comfortable identifying as a girl, then do it. It doesn't matter if you feel like you don't act like other trans people, because not all cisgender people act the same, do they?

If you enjoy being a girl, then that is how you feel and no one can speak for you on that. If you decide later that you're not trans, or maybe that you are some non-binary or genderqueer identity, that's fine too! Just remember that no one can say how you feel or who you are. Only you can.

Best of luck to you. (*hug*)

10. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, Latia. I suppose I what I'm worried about is that I'm moving too fast or realize after the operation that I am not a Female... I've been thinking about it nonstop, and seeing the support of strangers and family alike has helped comforted me in this. So thank you Latia, and to anyone reading this. This has helped me out more than any of you know. (*hug*)

If anything, all the support has helped me feel a little more certain of being a girl. I suppose there's no reason to close the forum post, though. If anyone has further input, I'd love to hear it. Thank you all! ^-^

11. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahahaha I'm about at the same place. Wig sounds weird, and a dress is scary. But I'm sure one step at a time will eliminate the fear. It's anxiety. I was thinking the same thing before. Maybe that makes me cisgender. But it doesn't eliminate how I feel. Right?

As for opinions,I understand. I mean to say that while they are valid, their opinions are uninformed. They don't feel what you do. And therefore it's hard to give them weight.
    In my opinion ;pHaha

I think going slow for me involves acting like a girl first, maybe crossbressing later, and coming out about it to a few people first so I can perhaps open up and be more brave around them in an effort to explore more. I do hope to keep in touch with you though. You've been reading my mind, just seem more concerned, about the same worries I have, than I am.

12. MetalRice

You are who you are miss, I say embrace it; don't fear it.

13. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In due time, I'm sure it'll be that way. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it, you know?

14. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well as of right now? You're as much you as you can handle. And you can delay any change as long as you want.Someone reminded me today that I can't mess up. I can step back. I can choose to be a girl. I can be androgynous. Anything I want. And it is all up to me. So. :slight_smile: I hope you feel more confident and sure. It's a weird world we live in. I hope you share your learnings with me Too!

15. MetalRice

Yeah, that makes sense, I'm struggling with my gender myself and don't want to regret whatever the ultimate answer to this matter is; so I can relate to how you feel.

16. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tobacco: I could try, although a forum isn't the place to keep a running status, and the site seems to be pretty particular on not giving out links. I can keep tabs, but I wouldn't really know how.

MetalRice: I began feeling the same about at about 17 myself, except I avoided all things LGBT like the Black Plague. I still kind of do. But ummm..... I don't know what to say, since I'm still just a newbie in this ordeal.

The best piece of advice I got was that gender like a lot of things is more of a spectrum than a black or white. There's no such thing as a 100% Guy or Girl.

17. MetalRice

Hmm, might be something to keep in mind.

But yeah, I wish you luck in discovering yourself, and hope that it all works out.

18. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks metal rice! Sorry my advice is lame! ^~^

19. Rochelle86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Self doubt is a very real thing that most if not all trans people have to deal with. I sometimes get a feeling that I don't need to transition or that I should stay as a male. Since everyone addresses me as a male anyways. I try to remind myself that the reason that I want to transition is that I can't be happy or express myself as a man. Wearing boys clothing at home makes my hair turn grey. I feel no connection to my body as it currently is. That feeling really stinks, and I want to be able to have the breasts that I know I feel on my flat chest, and maybe some day, lady parts.

I don't think I have bought a single piece of boys clothing in over 20 years. I'm always excited to go shopping as a woman. There's so much selection, and amazing outfits, although some are kinda over priced. My wardrobe turned out really well, though heels that fit are hard to find. :tears:

You should do what is going to make you the most happy. I want to life a stress free life, full of new adventures. Even through all the ups and downs of transitioning, I know it will all be worth it in the end.

20. Newbonzy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I admire all your ability and desire and ability to purchase and wear feminine clothing. I was able to do it only once, and I was pale as a ghost when I was asked if I wanted a gift receipt.

I had to throw out the little accessories and hide the sweater. I'd love to wear them, but I feel that's maybe after I can see myself as a girl more than just mentally. :icon_redf I guess I never felt crippling disgust about wearing jeans and hoodies (the only thing I'll wear. It helps hide my form.)

There is so much to all the clothing, it is so exciting in a way. Women's departments are always so huge. And there's more than just polos, tees, and pants. To that though... *nod* I'm just not brave enough to do that... And that makes me still worried.