1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does HRT actually cost?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SgtPeppers, Jul 20, 2015.

1. SgtPeppers

Hello everyone, I will be trying to start Testosterone this November, but I heard blood work (from an uninformed source) is around $1,000. I was wondering if anyone has a rough estimate so I know what to have prepared. I don't think I have to go to more than one therapy session in my state, which is NC.

Thanks.

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not from the US, so I wouldn't know how much it costs to get bloodwork there, but if it really costs this much to get a simple blood test (which it probably doesn't), than this is quite fucked up.

Hormones are really not that costy when you aquire them. A bottle of testosterone costs about 20$ without assurances. It's mostly what it takes to get you there that costs money (psychologists and all that). Anyway, whoever said 1000$ clearly doesn't know anything about it. Whatever sum you need to pay, it's way more affordable than what you've been told.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Costs will vary depending on which model you are using to get your HRT. If you are going the informed consent route, you're going to have a couple doctor visits, and some blood tests. If informed consent isn't an option where you are at, you are going to potentially be looking at a few hundred more, and possibly several more months, as you will need a letter from a gender therepist (not technically neccessary under informed consent). Of course, these may vary significantly based on your insurance, or if you are uninsured, your ability to find a sliding-scale clinic. As RainbowGreen said, the hormones themselves won't be that expensive once you do get the script, though it will vary based on it's form. I understand injections are the least expensive and most effective from, with the fewest side effects. Pill forms of hormones tend to have some side effects on the liver (depending on the specific drug). They may also be available as a patch or a cream.

#3 confuzzled82, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. SgtPeppers

I will not be using informed consent though it's an option in my state, I'm just waiting until November because that's when I turn 18. Are you sure they'll make me take more therapy sessions? I've heard if you have proof you've been living as your identified gender socially for more than two years, they take that into heavy consideration.

5. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it might be worth looking on a site geared towards that actually. There are transsexuals sites specifically that might help

6. thepandaboss

Hi.

It's really hard to say how much HRT could cost because it would depend on whether you pay for services out of pocket or you have insurance. Do you have insurance? Some insurance companies like Blue Cross or Kaiser do offer some help for covering trans related care, although it may also depend on your state as well.

A gender therapist is highly recommended, especially if you live in a state or a country where you need the input of a therapist in order to legally change your gender marker. Some clinics that offer gender therapy services will accept insurance. Many smaller clinics or individual therapists might not but you can ask for a super bill, which you can later fax or send in to your insurance company and possibly receive reimbursement for office visits.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on what your insurance will cover unless you're paying out of pocket. An acquaintance pays I think $60 out of pocket for his T, and that's with a coupon from goodrx. My insurance covers my hormones, and I only pay $1 for a month supply (not counting the needles).

8. Leifa

So I can't tell you at all the exact costs without insurance coverage but it would be more than I could afford I know. It's a lot. For me there is regular blood work every few months which you need to get done...and that can add up, again if you don't have any sort of insurance. I also had to have a recommendation to even be SEEN by an endo... I don't know what type of doctor you'd need to see.