1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I convince my mum to let me cut my hair short?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HikaruStop, Jul 22, 2015.

1. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been trying for 2 years straight to convince my mum to let me have shorter hair. Last month she took me to the hair dressers and got an inch off my hair. That really :***: me off. I want it shorter. Much shorter. Any ideas on how I can convince her to let me?

2. Fentrion

I don't know how you can convince her, but I think you may want to focus your efforts on your future so that you can become independent. Then you would not have to worry about her influence in your life.

#2 Fentrion, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does your mum not know you're trans? If so maybe show her some women with short hair like anne hathaway like hey this isn't a cliche sign of me being lgbtqia cishet women do this. Or maybe infer that you just want it short bc it's easier to manage and cooler (temperature-wise)? Sorry if I am literally no help, hope you can get your hair short soon!

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I have two ideas. One, is to get a hair trimming kit from Walmart (roughly $20-30) or borrow from a friend and just do it lol. I mean, she'd be mad perhaps. But you'd have your short hair! Maybe not the best advice, though haha.

Well, the other thing I can think of is to find a liaison of sorts. Someone, an adult, who can step in and maybe help you to communicate with your mom how much just this distresses you and how it's probably not worth it for her to be so set on this. Do you have a school counsellor you can talk with about it? Even a teacher you like. They may be able to either talk with your mom themselves, or find someone else who could help you out. It might be worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, you'd find someone who's on your side in this matter.

And yeah, Like queermeerkat said. There's lots of women and young girls who have their hair cut short who still look uh very feminine. Not really what you're going for but hey! It's a start perhaps.

#4 Ronin, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. Skystis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My family doesn't care if I cut my hair short but I can't dye it. If you try and show older role-models with cute short hair maybe it could work. My cousins were really against short hair but now they're taking me to get it cut soon. If all else fails cut it yourself or wait until you can go get it cut.

6. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks all of you. I'll try. THANK YOU!!!

7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck buddy! Let us know how things go!

8. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WAIT! I could just buy a wig and cosplay 24/7. I'm smart!