1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugh... Bathrooms

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Cynder

So I will be heading to college this fall. I am thinking that I would like to come out sometime this year, and finally be seen as male. But I'm having a bathroom issue.

At first I will have to use the female bathrooms, as that is what I present as since I am not out. However, I might start taking hormones before I officially come out, and people already sometimes get uncomfortable with me in a female bathroom because I seem male, so that would just increase that issue.

On the other hand, when I come out, I would then need to use the male restrooms. I am not comfortable with this. I have always used female restrooms, and whenever I have tried to use a male bathroom I feel uncomfortable and get some anxiety, mostly about getting caught or found out I guess, which would no longer be applicable, but still....

So I am uncomfortable in male spaces and female spaces (also, what would I do if I have to move to a male dorm room? Especially in the middle of the year.. There are no transgender/gender neutral living spaces or bathrooms) and because I am stupid, I chose to go to a somewhat conservative school in Montana, where people are somewhat accepting, but definitely not super understanding...

So I just don't know what I should do with the entire situation. Any advice?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About the bathroom thing, all I can say is walk in confident, you may be nervous at first, but I think if you're confident and act like you belong there, you'll have a much easier time and may not cause anyone to take a second glance.
    You can have a look at this: Hudson's Guide: Swimming and Locker Room Tips for Trans Men, you may want to look at the early transition and etiquette parts.
    Hope all goes well. :slight_smile: