1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to start my journey

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jewell, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jewell

So today i called the psychiatric clinic in my area and they said they have walk-ins available Tuesdays and Thursdays but no one who specializes in gender identity or anything. i called the quality center and got no answer today. I was wondering if this sounds right? I'm kinda doing all this backwards i think because i've already told my family and friends. i've always been pretty confident in my thoughts. Am i doing this right? any suggestions? i'm 24 if that helps.

2. Cedar

We all start our journey's at different times, there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone's journey in this type of situation differs. Have you tried looking for other LGBT friendly therapists in your area? I don't know what your transportation set-up is like but have you considered looking outside of your city? If I may ask, what do you mean by "quality center"? Is that some sort of clinic?

3. jewell

I meant to say equality center. I have a truck, there seems to be therapists in my area that deal with sexual identity but seems different from what I need and when i called them they said there's a list for new patients and i bet its expensive. The therapist that's general I called is only like 45 dollars for me I believe. Its just been kinda discouraging.

4. Cedar

Ah, keep trying to call the equality center, jump on someone's desk if you need to. If you get a hold of the equality center, they may have someone on staff that can help you out(or at least they should). Though I'm not all that familiar with how things go in the states in terms of transitioning since I live in Canada. Don't give up so soon, I know you can do it!:thumbsup: The therapists that deal in more "specialized" areas like gender identity do tend to be more expensive and demand money upfront. I don't know if this would help you or if you already looked into it. Here's a listing of therapists that specialize in gender therapy. It goes by county and cities so it might help slim your search a little bit more, the only annoying thing about it is that the selection keeps resetting itself which doesn't really help. I'm sure there are other sites out there that can help you out. https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?state=AR&spec=187

5. jewell

thank you i will try some of those. tomorrow ill do the walk in thing cause its cheap at least. though i dont feel like it will go anywhere unless its a specialized. wish me luck