1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a phase or do I really feel like this is right?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drummer27, Jul 23, 2015.

1. drummer27

So.. Biologically I was born a female. I've been thinking about my gender for a good while and I've only recently, as of maybe 4-5 months ago, started to understand the concept of being trans. When I was in 7th grade I had the biggest crush on a girl. I was like "okay..? so I'm gay. that's okay, great, I figured it out." That ended and during the start of 8th grade I liked another girl, but it was different. My desires weren't in the perspective of a female. Backtrack to when I was younger, I can think of so many times where I wanted to go outside and play in the dirt and ride my bike with all the guys. I would refuse to play with dolls and when I did have to I ended up playing as the male one. When 6th grade began, I started to get questioned by the girls about why I wore the clothes I wore and all I could say was that I was too lazy to try; I was just wearing what I liked to wear.. jeans and tshirts and vans. All throughout middle school it was the same. I never thought anything of it until my first crush on a girl. Now, back to 8th grade. I wanted to be with that girl but I wanted her and everyone else to see me as a masculine person, I just didn't know it. I started doing little things like standing up straighter to look taller and not shaving my legs. I would always try to become friends with the guys and get in with them. As of right now, it's summer and I want to be able to wear shorts and a tshirt with short hair and my facial hair and deep voice coming in. I desire to become taller. I've attempted to shave my face. (It never works as well as I'd like.) I told my best friend my thoughts and she's all for supporting me, but I told the girl that I used to like and she called me sick and "a transgender". I still want to be seen as a male but after that I'm scared of other people's reactions. I don't want this to be a phase. I want to be right about something for once but now I'm not sure. I find myself trying to talk to a boy. I want to try to like him. I don't know if it's me now identifying as bisexual or if it's me trying to convince myself that I'm not a male. Can anyone make sense of this? Is there a possibility that I'm wrong?

2. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think, regardless of whether it turns out to be nothing more than a phase several years from now, it would be a mistake to ignore your desire to be seen as masculine right now. Instead of stressing out over whether it will last, just see where it takes you. I may be wrong, but when you say you "want to try to like" a boy, it sounds a bit like you don't actually like him. If the attraction takes effort, it probably isn't entirely genuine.

You may decide, in the end, that you identify as female after all. Or you may decide that you're male. But suppressing your uncertainty about your gender, out of fear that it's just a phase, will only make it much harder to find your true identity, whatever it may be.