1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as FtM?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drummer27, Jul 24, 2015.

1. drummer27

So for a while I've been wanting to tell someone that I feel like a male. I haven't had the best of luck so far. Three people know and one of them is no longer friends with me. My best friend says she supports me and my sister only knows I have the thought. I'm so terrified of telling my parents because of the way they've reacted to same sex marriage being legalized in all of the U.S. and to Caitlyn Jenner's coming out. I know it's not anyone else's place to tell me what to do, but still. I feel like I'd ruin other people's lives with it, or even mine. Does anyone have any suggestions for coming out or for coming to terms with it a little easier?

2. BENTLEY

I think you should wait a bit, till you're older and able to move out. Because a lot of parents tend to kick their children out, once they've come out. I really hope this isn't the case with you, but from what you're telling us, they seem to be pretty anti-LGTB+, so to be safe, just lay low for a while, till you're able to take care of yourself.

If you really can't wait, please make sure you have someone you can depend on, if all comes to worse. Look up LGTB+ sanctuaries around your area, or friends who are willing to support you. I'm not sure how old you are tho, but this is just assuming you live with your parents because you're dependent on them.

I really hope tho, if you do come out to them, that they accept you. That is the ideal of every child who's different. A lot of parents seem homophobic and transphobic, but once they realize their child is part of that community, they come around.

I don't want to scare you, or worry you, but as someone who lives with extremely homo/transphobic parents, I'd suggest waiting it out, and playing it safe. It's true tho, it's your life, and nothing anybody says can change the way you feel, but to avoid all the pain and stress you'll receive from coming out, and having no place to go, will be much harder than keeping it to yourself for the time being. So please be safe, friend ♡