1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cisnormativity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomconnorcon, Jul 25, 2015.

1. randomconnorcon

This is more of a rant than asking for advice, but if you do have any advice as to what to do I'd be very grateful.

My nine year old brother can be the most observant person in my family. He's picked up on all the clues I've given to the adults and he doesn't really understand, but I don't expect him to. At least he sees. He still says she, but other than that he doesn't get why people call me a girl.

At the dinner table a few minutes ago, my five year old sister said that my brother was the only boy among girls. His answer was, "No, because [Connor's]* not a girl, she's a boy." My stepmum told him that obviously I'm a girl because of my chest. I love my stepmum I really do, but it's comments like that that remind me just how much everything is gendered and that cis is the norm. My brother is nine and that comment confused the hell out of him. Part of me wants to tell him that he's right, that I am a boy, but I'm afraid he'd tell even if I told him to keep it a secret. And I'm not ready for that.

Rationally, I shouldn't really be afraid to tell. My dad has already stated (and I'm quoting here... more or less), "no matter what is thrown my way, I love my kids unconditionally." My stepmum has showed signs of being accepting of a person being trans. I post things on Facebook, including one that said to reblog if you'd be okay with a friend coming out as trans (it was originally from Tumblr), and she likes them. Granted, that's a friend not her kid, but I can hope. But I've already got social anxiety disorder and they're pretty sure I have Asperger's and they suspect ADD, all of which keep me from actually saying the words.

But hearing stuff like that drives me insane.

My next clue is the binder that'll be coming soon. Then another haircut. But at least my previous clues are being noticed by someone.

*he called me by my birth name.