1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition tips? (Mostly)FtM Questions/Trans* Advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drummer27, Jul 26, 2015.

1. drummer27

This is going to be a thread about the very beginning of a transition, I'm sure there are many. I've got lots of questions about presenting myself in a more masculine way and I want other people to be able to relate or come here for tips as well.

Body
    1. Is there any way to thicken facial hair or darken it pre-t?
    2. Are there any hair style suggestions for a more masculine look?
    3. Is there any way to define a jawline more or thicken your neck?
    (I hope these don't sound stupid so far. :rolle:slight_smile:
    4. As for me, I have thick arm hair, but it isn't dark. For arm and facial hair, is there any way to darken or thicken that as well?
    5. Is there a way to define a happy trail without having to shave the hair where it would be?
    (Now I'm really hoping this doesn't sound stupid!)

Clothing Style
    1. Are there any specific stores that you buy your clothes from?
    2. Are there any clothes that should be avoided or geared towards based on body shape?

Name
    What has seemed to be the best way to find your new name? Were you able to get help from a website or friends and how long did it take before you were certain that you had found your name?

Coming Out as Trans*
    What is the best way to start the journey of coming out? Are there specific people to gear towards telling first? Is there an easier way to approach it? When is the best time to come out and is there a time that should be waited for?

I hope this didn't seem too far out to ask. :icon_redf I'm definitely not expecting anyone to answer every question. I know some may not apply to some people.
    Thank you in advance to anyone that reads or answers this thread! (*hug*)

2. David21201

I can only answer a few of these so bare with me!

To darken facial hair, try making a make up beard. It works. Also for making a defined jaw line try contouring. It works for me.

I tend to borrow my cousins clothes but I've gotten a few things from WalMart and Kohls. Try to avoid tank tops unless they are muscle shirts. Mens button down shirts are your friends with or with out a chest binder. Try to avoid too tight shirts as well. If you plan to wear shorts dont wear super short shorts. It wont work. You are better off to buy some mens shorts. (Something I need to do)

With your name THINK. THINK long and hard ok? Don't rush it! If it fits if it doesn't don't worry about.

Befire coming out make sure you are comfortable witn who YOU are. You may want to see how people feel about transgender people before coming out.

I certainly hope I was helpful. (I recommend watching uppercasechase on youtube

3. drummer27

:smilewave Brilliant, brilliant answer. Thank you

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a trans guy, you may need to visually boost the size of your legs. Guys pants can help, especially cargo pants that will add some hulk at the knees. And, if you were used to carrying lots of stuff in your purse before, you might find you have even more room.

Also, for either direction of transition, people watching is good. When doing this, pay extra attention to people you perceive as your target gender, especially those about your age. Pay attention to mannerisms and posture, and try to incorporate them.

5. Leifa

Most of those I don't have experience with :frowning2: I'm sorry. For coming out I started with people closest to me and anybody that wasn't very important kinda just found out second hand, if that makes sense.

For clothing just experiment with styles if you can. Borrow or buy some cheaper clothes in various style to find one that's just "you".

For naming is there a name that always "resonated" with you? Or that you always liked? Or how about one you accidentally answered to when you heard it in the streets or when a teacher called on somebody with that name in school?

My new legal first name always "part" of me if that makes sense. I just KNEW it was my true name, and even when I was in denial it just felt...right. For my middle name I was name after one parent so just swapped it to the other... and last name I didn't change. (THAT WAS A REALLY TOUGH CHOICE ACTUALLY)

You wanna make sure you get your name right...one that fits you, makes you happy, that IS you. In my opinion your name is the most important part of transition...

6. drummer27

(&&&)Thank you