1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being The Ultimate Boy (Passing Tips Please??)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by iiimee, Jul 26, 2015.

1. iiimee

Hey, Chase here! I am all ready to get back in school, and I'm gonna get a binder but... Let's face it, I need some tips-

I would really appreciate some tips on learning how to walk like a man. Like, I kinda get spreading your legs a bit so you take up less walking space (no side-to-side hip swaying for me) but is there any good way you guys know how to practice it? Like, I keep trying to remind myself to walk a certain way... I guess it's up to muscle memory? I am also curious about how this plays into my second question-

Packing: Do any transgender men here know if socks really work well for packing? Cause that's all I got atm... I also want to know if it works... what size socks do I need? I already have big feet... I don't look good atm, but I can take some pictures of my frame if it would help you guys figure out what size you recommend... I wear boy's pants and sometimes females, though I like skinny and straight boy's jeans- they're much more comfortable, and idk... Like, how do I make myself look natural? I'm only a teen so idk what works well- but I figured packing might make me look and walk a bit more natural. Still, I have one more question-

Voice Exercises: What exercises can I do to make my voice a bit deeper? Like, is there any daily exercise you recommend? If any of you have went through voice training, what sorta things do they recommend you do? I am a very... flamboyant person, so sometimes my voice rises without thinking. I want to make it a habit to sound a little more deep...

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2015 at 12:28 AM ----------

My voice normally:
    http://*******.com/i/s1W1h5AD6jO5

My voice when I try to lower it:
    http://*******.com/i/s07POdUMawCZ

The exercise I've been trying to do is stretch my neck and hum deeply... I've only started recently, but hopefully over time it'll help? Idk- I suck at exercising.

---------- Post added 27th Jul 2015 at 12:30 AM ----------

Hey, may I ask why I can't post my voice with *******? Is the website banned or what? :/

#1 iiimee, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Fairyglitter

Out Status:
    Some people
    Joeyblondewolf has a video on that

3. iiimee

On what? My voice? Packing? Walking and sitting in a more masculine way? I am really looking for help regarding the voice and packing the most, but I'll check out this guy's videos anyway. Can you tell me the video's name??

#3 iiimee, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Chase! I'll try to help out in any way that I can.

In my experience, I never really noticed a difference in how cis guys walk. A tip I was given from other people is to focus on the mannerisms of other people in public, like lowkey watch how other guys walk or carry themselves. I used to do that, but now not so much.

With packing, socks are great in a pinch if you have little to no cash. To make sure you don't have any mishaps, tight underwear helps or safety pinning it in place. If you look up packing videos on Youtube, you can find a lot on making a sock packer. I'll include a link to Hudson's Guide somewhere on how to pack and different methods you can try. With realism, try to avoid using the thickest socks you have, since over compensating will make you look like you have a party in your pants. There's also a "gak" method where you fill condoms up with some kind of gel or "gak" like hair gel. I can also provide a video on that if you'd like, and Hudson's Guide shows a how-to on doing that.

Hudson's Guide: Packing

With voice tips, there's something on Youtube called "Boom Your Voice", which helps you learn how to get into lower registers with time and practice. Another person said as a pro-tip for talking in a lower range is to try speaking from your chest instead of your head; which sounds really challenging, but you'll get the hang of it with practice. You might have more of an advantage if you have experience with singing or theater, and it's not impossible.

5. iiimee

Thank you! I had already seen Hudson's guide- I am just struggling to find videos to figure out how to do what they say to do in the guide... I will check out the voice thing!

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For packing, here's a few videos I've been able to find:

[YOUTUBE]F-A8ZqRkfpU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TAFPo0dcQLQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mDrqKid4oes[/YOUTUBE]

With voice stuff, here's the one video I was talking about. Just be careful with putting too much stress on your vocal cords to avoid hurting yourself:

[YOUTUBE]GBgYZKZXC38[/YOUTUBE]

7. wasgij

Singing lessons, or at least a self-disciplined regular routine if you know what you're doing. Because mere talking is ad hoc, it puts you on the spot with a lot of pressure to get it right the first time. When I speak to strangers or on the phone, I find that my voice gets a lot higher than usual because of the stress, which is the opposite of the effect you want. So I'm guessing you'll want a lot of practise in a low-stress environment, so you have the confidence in knowing that you're prepared.

Ask to extend your contralto range, if you choose to go that route and your teacher asks.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2015 at 12:20 AM ----------

I think of masculine walking like it's following a pair of tank tracks. So your left foot makes footprints on the left, and it always stays on that side, and vice versa. Exaggerated swagger is unnecessary. When standing, you don't want you feet touching, you'll want a gap of around 2-3 footprints. I've seen people do exaggerated masculine-style mannerisms and it's like, dude you're overdoing it, just sit back and relax.

#7 wasgij, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I went on T, I lowered my voice range a lot by singing. I would sing the male vocals, and over time extended my range this way. I also agree with talking from your chest. When walking, the main thing that you need to avoid is swinging your hips. That will instantly make you look more feminine.

9. iiimee

Thanks you guys! This has helped a lot! I know a lot of people at school will remember me for how they used to see me, but hopefully I'll be able to focus on my schoolwork and improving myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I get bullied a lot, but it doesn't matter... then again, I will probably get asked if I have a dick this year X_X Like, a lot... *sigh*

I have already noticed some improvement with my voice- I have always sang mostly male parts, so it's easier for me to translate my singing into my speaking, but I still have some difficulty... oh well~

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kids can be so mean sometimes, I swear. If people give you hell, report it to a teacher or tell a friend so they can look out for you. I'm sure you're going to have a lot on your plate with school, and idiotic bullies are the last thing you have to worry about.

11. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing about the walk that helped me, some-- I was trained when I hit puberty to basically stick out my but, curve my spine, and should my shoulders back (along with "put one fit directly in front of the other, to play up your assets"). Besides being an extremely feminine-looking walk, it's kind of painful! To even out your posture, spread your gait, and generally look more dudely, rotate your pelvis under. Basically, pull your butt in instead of pushing it out. It gives a wider and more comfortable step, and makes the silhouette and posture a lot more masculine. Don't be alarmed if you naturally start walking a little more duck-footed--a lot of men do.

Again, this worked for me, but if you find it painful or anything, by all means, don't do it!!

12. Sashafr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Umm in don't want to offend anyone but there is a huge difference in the way girls and guys walk. Allowing you straight and not deliberately trying to change it guys walk like they don't give a fuck and want everyone to know it. They force you to bp into them or get out of the way. Girls tend to be more considerate and walk ready to move and allow people to pass. I don't k ow if its culture or what but in America if you pay attention that's what you can see as a whole