1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be more butch?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by emma7, Jul 27, 2015.

1. emma7

I'm a bit stumped on how to look more butch. I have my hair short (sometimes I style it into spikes) I only really wear T-shirts and jeans :/ Sometimes I'll wear shirts but I feel like it's not really butch enough if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

2. drummer27

I think the presence you have when you're just out really helps with being butch. I've found that trying to stand taller and keeping my shoulders more broad gives off a more masculine look and feel to other people and myself. I know that wasn't much but I hope that helped a little and good luck with this!

3. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear Emma, Here is some advice from an old school butch... Ive got 23 years of practice and am in my 40s. But I was a young buck once lol. I like the butch-femme dynamic and seeing myself as butch is important. Some old school standards...see if any of these appeal to you if you arent doing it already...l carry a wallet, wear boots, get a tie at a thrift store and see how you feel in it, sit with your legs apart, practice your walk so that it is not feminin hip wise, wear a chain, wear a mans watch, watch masculine mens mannerisms and adopt the ones you like and are comfortable. Learn to be a gentleman, hold the door, compliment others, etc. And the number one advice i can give, be confident! That is the best butch trait of all time imo. Girls love that. Many girls are attracted to butch confidence and strength. Just be sure of yourself and proud of who you are in your butch identity. Its a lot about how and who you are, not just your appearance. Be yourself! I wish you all the best kiddo. Im sure you'll knock em dead with your butchness, if thats what youre going for.

4. emma7

@drummer27 ~ Thank you for your input. I already do these things well as best I can. Lol.

@Putterpuff ~
    I already do these :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I should of said what I do already.

Iv'e got loads of ties but never wear them as they don't seem to go with anything.

Will do! Thank you :grin:

5. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear emma. A tie looks very nice under a v neck sweater! In addition to short hair, you can keep it a bit messy. And im all about baseball caps, but i bet you rock those already.

6. emma7

Thank you :slight_smile:

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Lots of great advice above.
    I just wanted to say I think the thread belongs under General Support and Advice.

8. emma7

I have to disagree. I think it's fine in here.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It was merely my guess. Being butch isn't gender expression. Just expression.

10. KayJay

But that is exactly what gender expression is. "Gender expression refers to the ways in which we each manifest masculinity or femininity."

I am not sure what advice to give as lots has been given that I'd have suggested. I think the attitude you have can help, maybe. Just being less excitable about things may make you seem more butch, also the tone of your voice. Working on having less of the natural higher infliction towards the end of sentences could help in being seen much more butch.