1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Arms Agenda

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Open Arms, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'll admit it. I came onto Empty Closets with an agenda. It's not my only reason for being here because a secondary reason is to learn from all of you. My experience with LGBT is a lot more than your average evangelical Christian. My study of the topic is off the charts compared to others who read the Bible. I have very close gay friends and identify as bi myself. Recently I switched denominations and churches because I wanted a more gay friendly, gay sensitive church, among other reasons.

My agenda is to spread the word that the Church IS changing and many of us Christians fully support gay marriage, gay adoption, transgenders and gay equality and rights. Some evangelicals like me have totally changed their views about homosexuality and homosexuals through study of the Bible, education and getting to know LGBT folks and where they're hurting. Mostly, I want to support Christian LGBTs and let you know you can embrace your sexuality without losing your relationship with God, Jesus Christ and the Church. There is hope!

I chose my name Open Arms to reflect how I feel towards gay people and how I want the Church to be towards them. When we open our arms we are both needy and giving, welcoming and vulnerable. Someone may refuse our embrace or they may be dying for it.

I assure you, my agenda is not to come on here to evangelize non-Christians. We can not impose our beliefs on a secular society or expect them to live by our standards. We can however be the best LGBT persons we can be which is to be salt and light in the world. According to Jesus' calling, that is not optional, and it is a vital and useful purpose only achieved through sacrificial love. I believe in sex only within a monogamous relationship. You may feel differently. I respect your right to make your own choices.

May your journey, whatever your orientation, be a happy and fulfilled one.

#1 Open Arms, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. levi2000

I'm glad there is acceptance in the church! Thanks for sharing.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See... i always say that Jesus would be appalled at the state of the church right now. He preaches tolerance and love and the clergy has twisted the old testament into persecution and condemnation. Fundamentalist Christianity is as big a plague on the world as much as radical Islam or any other zealous religion.

There need to be more people like you in religion. Both lgbt and non or the rift will stay.

4. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While not religious myself, my grandparents are catholic and used to take me to church as a kid. So it's nice to see some support coming from there. :slight_smile:

Just one little nit-picky thing: Please don't refer to us as "transgenders". It's a little disrespectful. We are people, not things. (Though you probably didn't mean it that way, it can come across like that.)

Again, thanks for the support. :thumbsup: