1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To cut or not to cut! That is the question...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Michimon1993, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Michimon1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Okay, so I realize I've posted about this before, but I'm still so torn! Somebody help meeeeh!

I'm genderqueer (a chick biologically) and I don't know what to do about my extremely long hair. I'm desperate to have short hair as it would make my gender so much more ambiguous and I just think it's an awesome look. However, deep down I'm scared I'll regret it :frowning2: It doesn't help that everyone around me freaks out when I even mention cutting it. I have natural ringlets so people always say my hair is beautiful and it would be a crime if I cut it :frowning2:

I've tried wearing boy wigs, but it's hard binding my hair because it's so long and thick and doing so always gives me a splitting headache :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Any advice on how to make this decision??

Thanks in advance!!! <3

2. Asdf333

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my, that thread-title shocked me a bit when you mentioned "cutting" ^^'

But anyway... My personal advice is: Just go for it! You may regret it... but there's always the chance of you loving it~ If you don't like it... then hell you can just grow your hair back.

Also don't worry too much about the comments of others. Your body is yours and you know perfectly well what you like or want to be :3

3. Michimon1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks darlin, you're absolutely right :slight_smile: I'm still a little scared, but I think I should just bite the bullet :slight_smile: Life's too short! I may even just start by getting it cut a little shorter and then gradually work my way up to getting it at boy's length, so maybe then it won't be quite as daunting :S

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I got my hair cut "short" for the first time, I was thirteen and had it brought up to my shoulders. Gradually I worked my way up to a "pixie" by the time I was 14-15 and since then have been slowly meandering toward masculine haircuts. If I didn't take it in stages, there's no way I'd (a) have gotten used to it personally and (b) even been allowed to do it.

Just remember that it's only hair. Even if you got it all shaved off it'd eventually grow back. It's your hair, and experimenting is fun!

5. Leifa

Title scared me to death...

Anyway..You'll never know unless you do it, if it's something you want dive in and don't second guess yourself. Being worried you'll regret it will keep you from ever doing it. If you regret it...well it'll grow back..eventually but isn't it better to know than keep wondering?

6. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it. I used to have long hair So I get it. Making the decision to cut it short seems like a long term decision but just because you have cute curls doesn't mean you won't look just as dashing with a short Hairdo. Plus lots of people will give you compliments probably. You will be SURPRISED how many people speak up when you change something like that :slight_smile:

7. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently cut my hair really really short, and it felt amazing! Though, I have had the idea to do it for 2 years. This is how I thought of it: If you don't do it, you'll definitely regret it. Hair is hair and it will grow if you don't like it! I told myself that you can make a negative into a positive. Plus, it beats the heat and you'll feel sorry for everyone that has long hair. Plus, hairstyles are way much more fun to do. You can spike it and tease it! Plus, you can dye it all kinds of different colors. I say go for it, because it feels absolutely amazing. My hair is reaaaalllly long before I cut it. I think if you don't do it, you might feel really bad afterward. I really suggest you getting short hair, it's amazing to have and you'll be noticed more. People will be able to see your face and you'll look really happy to people. So I say go for it! <33​

8. Simple Thoughts

If you're worried about what people will say about you cutting your hair contact someone like "Locks of Love" and tell them you're doing it for charity and not only will you get what you want, but you'll help someone else find a little bit of happiness :3

Also it's hair, it grows back. It might take some time, but it'll grow back so if you ever change your mind you've just gotta wait =3

9. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That title freaked me out. 'Oh dear god please tell me they're talking about hair...'

Anyway, I say cut it. Even if you don't like it, your hair WILL grow, trust me. Unless you keep cutting it.

10. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hair grows back so you should definitely cut it to see if you like it. Maybe before you do, check out different short hairstyles to see what would work best for you. If you find one you really like and want, it will be more of a motivator to get it done. If you don't like it, it will grow back fast. Hair that was once long and was cut short usually grows pretty quickly if it was healthy and not too chemically damaged. Have fun with it.

11. Michimon1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks guys :slight_smile: I went ahead and got it cut ^^

Also, not sure what about the title freaked everyone out! Am I missing something?? Or am I just really naive? :S

12. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... If you don't like it short you can always regrow it.

13. ashleysummer

ashleysummer Guest

You look great with this pixie. But to tell the truth, I prefer graduated bob haircuts like here . Totally agree to HikaruStop in statement "you can always regrow it". Life is to short not to make changes!

14. Sue Baloo

I assume that is you in the avie? Super cute cut, it really suits you. :wink: