1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being transgender/gender nonconforming is congenital

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by oncetherewasa, Jul 29, 2015.

1. oncetherewasa

Video/slideshow I found from AMA that shows that being trans (as well as LGBQ) is congenital and offers possibilities as to why. Thought it was pretty interesting and could spark a discussion.

It actually helps me to hear about it like this and think of it as a simple hormonal issue in the womb as opposed to some unknown "who knows why" kinda thing.

AMA Webcast

2. Just Jess

I think there definitely are things that are. The only thing that makes me nervous is, our umbrella is really big and covers lots of kinds of folks. Like I am genetically predisposed to estrogen. Testosterone does to me what the estrogen backlash does to a bodybuilder going through abused steroid withdrawal. It's testible, falsifiable...

...and also something that is not true about all gender nonconforming people who were assigned male at birth. Some of them like their equipment, don't mind the way T feels, etc.

So I mean I am glad more science is being posted about people exactly like me. I just always worry it will widen gaps with people a lot, but not exactly, like me.

3. oncetherewasa

I agree; some of the examples weren't accurate for every gender nonconforming person or even LGB cis person and I think that's just because there's diversity in everything in life. Some things just go beyond being able to quantify and verify, especially when dealing with emotions.

I think stuff like this should be used as a guideline for more study on the subject, as well as to give more reason to the medical community to better the kind of healthcare LGBTQ+ people get.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know there is another thread covering this but I rather post it here.

I like to think that a hormonal imbalance in the womb is the cause to it all. In my case it makes so much sense.
    The women of my family all have a hormonal imbalance. When my mom got pregnant she was on birth control both times. She had her tubes tied after my last brother and stop taking birth control. 2 years later, even though my dad used a condom, I was born. Sometimes I wonder if being on birth control helped with my mom's hormone imbalance. If maybe not being on it added to the stress of a bad marriage someone caused a hormone flux that resulted in me being trans. I want this to be true so that I can say that I am not mental, I just developed different than others did.

At the same time I don't want it to be true. My mom would blame herself. And its not her fault. As strange as it is I am happy to be trans. I like to think I am lucky because I have lived a female life and can take those things that I've learned into my male life. I can understand the struggles women go through and I feel this will make me a better man.

5. lettuce

I've always subscribed to that belief. My mum drank a lot of beer when I was in the womb and that's pretty estrogenic, right?