1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parents are supportive, but...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mischief, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I was having a conversation with my sister about how my parents feel towards my transition, but every time we have this kind of conversation, I get severely disappointed and upset. The most recent thing is that they hope I "do a ruby rose", meaning I don't transition completely. My problem with this is, is that ruby rose is genderfluid. I am not genderfluid.

I am 100% certain that I will be getting top surgery, and 95% certain I will be getting bottom surgery too. Their reasoning for not wanting me to surgically transition is that it is "traumatic", but isn't me staying the way I am far more traumatising? Physically and mentally, it's a real drain.

My parents get mad at me whenever I say I feel like I'm not 100% supported, but how can I not feel that way? How can I talk to them about this? I'm starting to get really depressed and frustrated because of it.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best way to go about it is to be blunt (but you know your parents better than I do). Tell them about how strongly you feel and maybe try to find some resources explaining why getting surgery is important. If possible be persistent, and try to talk about why they're getting angry about it as well. 99% of the time communication is the best way to go. If they're really pissy you could try writing a letter so they'll have time to consider it at least.

3. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I wrote a letter to them regarding my pronouns a few months ago, and it feels like they've just completely forgotten. I have only had one conversation with them about surgery, but my mum is set on being against it. She's also willing to keep me off testosterone if I'm allowed to do it earlier than 18. Hold on a second, isn't it my body?

4. DoriaN

I'm actually going through something really similar hahah

They want me to be at most a butch lesbian, and yeah, they love me but I don't feel supported.

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Ugh...
    That's what my dad thinks people see me as.
    But, I'm not actually straight.. I like guys.
    So in turn, that just makes me less believable or invalidated.